cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rightasrain
Contributor

shop insulation

I'm considering building a new shop and am wondering what type of insulation to use. The building would be steel framed,  110X54X20. I've talked to a sales guy about spray foam insulation and that seems pretty interesting. He offers a open cell product and a closed cell product. He had an example of each and the open cell looked a lot like the expanding foam you buy in a can. The closed cell stuff was much stiffer and looked like it would a much better insulator.

Now the question:

He said that 2 inches of  the closed cell stuff equals an R52. Is this correct?

His quote for 1 1/2 inches was just under $20,000. Does that seem high?

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
rrbusb122417
Veteran Reader

Re: shop insulation

About a year ago, I heard the price was about $1.25 a square foot.  Looking into it again, sounds pricy, but seems to be pretty good suff.

0 Kudos
tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

No, it's not correct and it's not even close.

A simple search on the internet would have proved that to you and I wonder why you didn't even try to verify it through that approach. I also wonder why you're willing to put the most expensive and effective insulation in a pole barn.  I could explain the differences to you and the reasons for the higher cost but it would do you some good to learn it for yourself. It's funny, but I did a little search that took less than 2 minutes and chose this website specifically for their use of soy based products.

http://www.renewable-resource.net/foam-insulation.html

0 Kudos
rightasrain
Contributor

That's......uh......not the product I was shown at all. Maybe you're not the total alfa and omega of building materials you frickin' think you are.

0 Kudos
tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

Now the question:

He said that 2 inches of  the closed cell stuff equals an R52. Is this correct?

His quote for 1 1/2 inches was just under $20,000. Does that seem high?

Thanks

Somebody is full of bull in more ways than one, unless there was an overnight technological advance in spray foam insulation, which of course there wasn't.

I would ask you to prove that that amount of closed cell equates to R52, but you can't.

Prove me wrong.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

I'm wondering if you're lining the building..or just spraying on an insulation coat once the building is erected. I might suggest a 3/4-1 1/4 inch foil foam between the siding and the purlins...possibly with a wrap like Tyvek between the foam and the sheet metal. Keeping the heat in a pole building..is about keeping the breeze from blowing through, and the foam and Tyvek will do a good job of that. Spray on insulation has a lot of rough surface..that eventually collects a lot of dust and grime...and really looks tough after a while. Foil insulation can be had with a white surface...that can be swept off or blown fairly clean now and then. The roof surface is going to be where a lot of heat escapes..and probably the best insulation there..is a ceiling on the bottom of trusses...and blown in fiberglass on top of it. The heat in these big buildings pools at the top..and if you have a 50 degree temp at 5'...you'll be sweating at 20'. We insulated the top half of the building more than the lower half...but I think we could have done better, if we had installed an interior wall on the lower half..and filled it with fiberglass.

0 Kudos
rightasrain
Contributor

Well I don't know what to tell you bucko, but when I first talked to them on the phone he told me that 2 inches equals R52. I said 'are you sure about that, that seems awfully good'.  He said he was sure. He sent a guy out to look over my situation and I asked that guy 3 times about it and he confirmed it too. So either the whole business is made up of a bunch of out and out liars or there's something out there you don't know about.

I  really don't appreciate your bad attitude.

0 Kudos
rightasrain
Contributor

This building will come to me as a plain building and I will concrete and insulate as funds and time allow. It's a steel framed building, so it is just perlins on the sides and roof with outside tin screwed to it. There is only about 9 inches between the rafters and the sheet metal so its going to be tough to blow in or put bats up there. I would have liked to line the inside of the building with white tin for better lighting and better appearance. This is the reason I was interested in the sprayed on.

0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

I could see how they could say "2" thick spray foaming will stop air infiltration to the point your building will act like it has an r-value of 52".  That could be close.  To say it has an r-value of 52 is bogus.  6 or 7 per inch is about the best you can do out of a foam depending on the kind of foam.   I like to get our side walls spray foamed at 1/2" to 1" and then put in rolled fiberglass or I prefer blown in cellulose if I can get to the side walls easily.  The cheapest insulation on a ceiling with attic is cellulose and lots of it. 

What are you heating with?  If propane, I'd double whatever you are planning.  Insulation is a ROI economic analysis.  R52 won't stop twice as much heat as R26.  It canl only stop the portion of the heat that made it through the R26 portion of the R52 insulation.   Its a law of diminishing return.  You need to know your heating cost for potential ROI for more insulation.

0 Kudos
fernwood
Frequent Contributor

On the steel building we just put up we purchased the insulation with the building package.  Put 4 inch bat in the roof and 3 inch on the sides.  Came in precut rolls about 6 ft wide.   Was not that bad to put on after we figured out the best way to do it.  Just put a roll on and put the metal over it. 

Don't remember the R value or price but seems like it was around $2K.  Will look up the price for you if you need it.   

0 Kudos