cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Steps to boot the spammers

Good morning, everybody. Took a few steps yesterday in an effort to knock down some of this spam, and (knock on wood) it appears to be helping out. Again, thanks for your patience in all of this!

Wanted to let everyone know what I did, as there is a small chance it might influence everyone's ability to post under certain specific circumstances. First, we have a content filter system comprising a few keywords. I added some to that list -- mostly words just common to those "watch such-and-such sporting event live" spam bot posts. There are 15 in there total (don't want to reveal them here just in case the 'bots' are watching). But, I set it up so that if a message contains any of these words, it will not permit its posting. So, if that happens to you, please let me know and I'll see what might be the cause.

Also, I have implemented a "flood control." That basically doesn't allow a user to post multiple messages within a certain period of time (again, I'd divulge what exactly that time period is, but don't want to tip our hand!). Typically, these spam bots post their junk in rapid succession. The control I implemented, like the keyword content filtering, will just simply bounce the messages, not allowing them to be posted.

Like I said, I'm hoping these steps help keep this problem at bay. I will continue to watch and kick out anything that might get through. And, if anybody has any trouble at all, or if you have any questions, please let me know via a private message here or you can shoot me an email.

Hope everybody has a very Merry Christmas! Stay warm!

JC

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Steps to boot the spammers

Well heck - I might as well down down to marketing and see  if it works - lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

By Golly it worked Jeff - said that one word was not allowed on  here - I got to think how to get around it -- You know - just to help out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Now you do know jeff that Obama's trouble with his website made these teabaggers want to scrap the whole website. That how understanding these folks are.  On the other hand, I can sympathize with your difficulties and will give you ample time to find a remedy.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Goooooolly krafty, the tea party wanted you to know ahead of time...you wouldn't ahbve been prepared

for all the problems had you just kept listening to the alphabet networks   ;(

0 Kudos