cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Training the spam 'guard dog'

Hello, all. Thanks for continuing to send me feedback on how things are working around here, especially those who have had difficulty seeing posts after you've posted them. I got some information from our developers I thought I'd pass along here this morning.

We've implemented a "crawler" software that's basically like a guard dog pacing the yard and watching for spam. But, since we just got the pup, we have to teach it which guy to chase down the lane and which one to let come up and scratch its belly.

THat's where we are right now: Training the dog who to bite and who not to. As part of that process, we have a queue to which some messages (I have no idea why it selects the one it does -- it's some kind of formula created by folks way smarter than me!) are being pushed first. Then, we have to go in and "moderate." Basically, let the system know what's spam and what's not. We check that queue frequently throughout the day.

But, there's obviously a lot of time during which that queue gets a little fuller. But, when we go in there and approve messages, they ultimately pop up in the forums where they were posted. But, that may not take effect immediately. So, if you post a message, then it doesn't show up or you get some kind of weird little error message, it's at this point likely that it's been popped into this "moderation" queue, at which point we will as soon as possible pop it back into its respective forum.

This is a temporary thing; once we have trained the dog who to bite and who to not bite, this will no longer happen. May be another week before that happens, I'm told. Once it does, though, we'll be in business and you'll see everything showing up where it needs to be right away.

Thanks for everybody's help and patience on this issue. We're getting there and you all's help is making sure that happens very soon!

Thanks again! As always, feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions or anything. Oh, and by the way, I'll check on the spell-check issue to which some folks here have alerted me in the last few days. I'll root around!

Here's to a guard dog who bites all the right people and let's the good folks roll right into the yard!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Training the spam 'guard dog'

Your dog bit me good Jeff, and is holding onto my hand preventing my posting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Training the spam 'guard dog'

Your dogs have been a biting me, but I think they now have tired.

0 Kudos