cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Access to water at slaughter facility

The meat and poultry regulations require "access" to water at all times for livestock in holding pens in federally inspected slaughter facilities.  What kind of automatic hog waterer would or should constitute "access" to water for pigs?  I have my thoughts which obviously differ from my Muslim inspector but I'm not going to voice them on this forum until others chime in.  And, no, I haven't got in trouble for it yet. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Access to water at slaughter facility

You have spoken about your abbattoir before and it surprises me you are not yet aware of the proper facilities which are required.  Is that the case? I also sense that the Muslims have an objection to the current set up.  We have drinking nipples in all the pens at the Abbs and the access is not a problem.  Sheep and Cattle have massive troughs.  I couldn't see why that would not be acceptable.

In this country, there has been a lot of trouble over Muslims.  They get into an abb. because they are wanted for export.  Then they tighten the screws to suit themselves. In two abbs. I know of they virtually had the joints closed because just 10 yards aware from their muslim kill chain, there was a line of pigs being killed.  Eventually the abb. owner could not settle the dispute. The pigs were important to his operation just as the muslims were but  he closed it down because whatever he did, he couldn't please.  Once they get in you can expect trouble in the long term.  Another one had a complete new chain installed, separate from everywhere and they objected to pigs being killed on the same ground.  Another would not have pigs unloaded at the same ramps as pigs for fear of contamination.  It makes me laugh when they bless some huge stinking bull then cut his throat in some type of right of passage to heaven.  They go home and grab a dog and eat it when they can't get something else. It is all BS and they should have their abbattoirs. That brings me to this.  In some instances, they have sent the Abb. broke then bought it back dirt cheap and hunted all the pigs away.  Great people.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have seen those hanging nipple waterers. Given this type of weather we're having, though, you may want to have traction on the workers' boots.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Well - what happened?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

He spent quite a while arguing with me that day but hasn't brought it up again. Must be he didn't want to stick his name on a non-compliance report stating that pigs can't drink out of a pig drinker. The problem is in the USA if a facility has sanitation or structure issues usda and the facility would argue for months or years before anything would happen. If an inspector even says anything is in humane the facility is shut down to appeal. You have no choice but to go along even if they are claiming pigs can't drink out of a pig waterer. In lots of ways it would be easier dealing with the mafia.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Water the pigs out of a large trough with fresh water in it, for goodness sake. It is NOT rocket science. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

@JonBailey64 wrote:

Water the pigs out of a large trough with fresh water in it, for goodness sake. It is NOT rocket science. 

That confirms my greatest fear.  You are a mug and obviously know nothing about pigs. It is idiots like you with half  brain contain the most ignorant dangers to the industry.  If you want to do it your way, knock yourself out with it but dont tell professionals how to do it.

0 Kudos