cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Anyone there?

I think the directors at the state level are all selected at-large.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think long term that high corn prices should be the best thing for a diversified livestock operation but I think most people would rather raise crops than animals.

On a side note, do you know of anyone around with any quonsets setting in the fence rows that they would sell?  I could use a couple hundred more.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I used to visit this site daily.  Haven't been here in months.  Life is treating us good as niche hog producers.  Its a crazy, very crazy lifestyle with all the customers, employees, inspectors to keep under control and happy.  I don't spend much time raising pigs even though we have more hogs than we ever have had.   I used to tell a crazy industro promoter on this site when I got into the niche marketing, processing plant, etc that I'd make INC's 500 fastest growing companies.  It took me too long but we submitted the application.  Time will tell whether we made the top 500 but for sure will be on their 5000 on the web site.  It truly is an exciting time to be involved in local food production.

Its really a shame when its no longer a viable option in the US to be an independent commodity hog producer.  I think it signals the end of a once great nation but maybe I'm making too much of it.  Over 600,000 hog farmers in this country when I was in high school.  I've got two in high school now and I think they have to count the 4-H kids to get to their 60,000 hog farmers in the country.

0 Kudos