cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Boar with ear infection

I have a couple SPF boars in with 16 gilts, they`re pretty much bred, the easy ones twice  Smiley Happy  But a week ago one of the boars comes over at feeding time with his head cocked to one side, I had never quite seen anything like it ..so you think `oh he`ll be better tomorrow` well he got worse rapidly.  He couldn`t stand, the ears got to do with balance, thought what the heck? Well I put him on 5ML of Penicillin and hand watered and fed him in the gilt pen and helped him stagger around, the other boar and gilts left him alone.  I really figured I`d end up shooting him, but after 3 days he came out on his own, ate with the others and drank water like a son of a gun..at first I saw him I thought it was the other boar going to heck too.  the night before, I wouldn`t have given a plug nickel for him, that morning he was at least worth a nickel.   I looked up at the blue sky and thanked God.

Well, about a week has gone by and his neck is still a little crooked, but he`s doing well  Smiley Happy  and this morning he got his last shot of Pen.  When he got in trouble at first I made the mistake of telling my Wife...never ever do that!  She kept bugging me "Call the Vet.  Call the Vet.  You`d better call the Vet!".    Well he`s on all fours and we`re all happy  Smiley Happy

But in all my years, I`ve never seen a ear infection in a hog or if I did it must`ve been very mild and they healed up on their own.  If you live long enough, you see everything.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Boar with ear infection

Interesting.  It's been a long time since I raised hogs, but it's new to me, too.  From what you write, it sure sounds like an infection.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Boar with ear infection

Yes, holding his head to one side, seemed to be a strange ear related symptom, the Penicillin definitely was a life saver.   I just wonder if since he was a Specific Pathogen Free boar that maybe that made him more susceptible?   Though I`ve never had the problem before, maybe been lucky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific-pathogen-free 

Completely germ-free[edit]

The animals can be born through a caesarian section then special care taken so the newborn does not acquire infections, such as use of sterile isolation units with a positive pressure differential to keep all outside air and pathogens from entering. Everything that needs to be inserted into the isolator, such as food, water and equipment needs to be completely sterilized and disinfected, and inserted through an airlock that can be disinfected before opening from the inside.

A disadvantage is that any contact with pathogens may be fatal. This is because the animals have no protective bacterial flora on the skin or in the intestine or respiratory tract, and because they have no natural immunity to common infections as they have never been exposed to them

0 Kudos