cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Bruce and Nox, Kid getting the same treatmeant....you'll like the story

They only publish it cause someone is scared.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Hope for the best---GO FOR IT--forget the mentality of the Biggy's

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

There are very few poultry integrators, but the majority of candidates have their own commercial broiler, geese, duck or turkey operations. If I remember right, the poultry division includes both entrepreneurship and placement. She could be beaten by a manager of several broiler operations. It all comes down to what the judges are looking for in candidates that will do well at the next level. Are you judging proficiencies at the district, state, and national levels?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think our state judges them at the state level with advisors but I'm not sure.  I haven't filled out a proficiency application nor even looked at one in about 20 years.

I'm assuming you have seen some of the national winner's applications?  Rough figure, assuming a person has the leadership score to carry them, what kind of volume in sales per year is enough to carry a person?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Our state judges applications from the districts and then selects the top three if there are that many applying. Then they go through an interview process. I have seen many applications that go on to become national finalists and winners. Size doesn't always make a SAE great, Greg.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Not ignoring you Greg, but this really hits a nerve. I've recently witnessed somethign much the same within my extended family..

I'll email you about it. I beleive I stil have your address.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Bruce, you can use the link off our website if you can't find my email.  I'm the only one that gets the infoGUN?????farms.com emails.  Are you on facebook?

I don't mind that people do this.   My family has got this forever for continuing to raise pigs outside when everyone else put up barns.  And I can accept the fact that I'm the only one still standing from all those people that told us we were nuts for working so hard.  The ironic part of this whole thing is there are almost no commodity livestock (and especially pig) farmers left.  I got the same treatment in FB yet I still won the state discussion meet and state young farmer award.  My daughter will get some of this but she'll do fine.  She is going to be a state officer and she has more opportunites than I ever dreamed possible in agriculture as well as in FFA.  Do you still have the name of that person close by that has berk boars?  I had a guy lined up for 12 boars and he ended up not having what I wanted.  I've called lots of places and no one seems to have 12 berk boars to use at X-mas time.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've said and I'll repeat again I expect my daughter and the boy that was hassling her to both do extremely well in their proficiencies.  Our local chapter has two really good advisors and has a long tradition of lots of chapter awards, contest winners, proficiency winners, degrees, state officers, and finalist in the National Star Farmer last year.  Probably the most in almost all of those categories of any chapter in the state. 

I made the trip to Kansas City a long time ago to pick up my American Farmer Degree. Made top four for proficiencies but never pulled off a state win. Always lost to significantly larger operations.  I'm not naive cause size makes a huge difference.   FFA is a great organization.  I really wanted to be a state officer but ended up settling to be an exchange student to the British Aisles instead.  Great experience. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My point of starting this thread is that most people (especially those outside of agriculture) can see that the demand for local foods is huge.   And Kay's attitude that it is a demand that can be met by "botique" farmers producing a handful of pigs or a hundred bottles of wine is ludicrous.  I'm not saying that farmers can't figure out how to overproduce for this market.  Don't think I'm saying that at all. 

What I am saying is that I realise there is a place in agriculture for three kinds of farmers.  Very large commodity producers and their contract growers.  Producers with good off farm income.  And specialty niche producers.  Everyone has different resources so no two farms should be identical.    That means my daughter's family can be correct in producing pastured pigs and poultry for white table clothe restaurants as well as the boy's family can be correct in milking 400 cows. 

And one other comment.  Unless Whole Foods has changed they sell an awful lot of level 2 livestock products that is nothing more than an assurance that the CAFO's and their processing/slaughtering division are following good manufacturing practices.  The company Kay raises over the years has been one of their biggest suppliers.  And that is largely because operations like me and Niman's can't supply them yet.  I think we both would be level 5's in their system.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Most chapters here have one advisor. Community support continues great programs and creates new ones. Your area must place a high value on the local chapter. Some schools are thinking about cutting FFA due to tight budgets but a few schools are starting their own. Picking one good advisor can create an atmoshpere for the students to bloom. You've been blessed to have had many to continue its tradition of success.

As for size, it is all relative. Large, small, medium can mean different sizes to people in different states. For example,when you were talking about a large dairy, I thought you were talking about 1,000 head or greater.

0 Kudos