cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Chris Hurt and Big Pig

BTW,

I think a lot of Chris personally but just don't get it in this regard.

Some of the foundational work of Ag Economics was Schultz and the corn/hog ratio, hog cycle etc.

Ultimately, there are only two good reasons to have monogastric animal protein in human diets- first, because they can eat some feedstuffs that aren't particularly good or appealing for human consumption and more importantly becasue they create elasticity in the human food supply- with plenty, herds build up and with scarcity they are slaughtered down.

The whole modern livestock thing entirely flies in the face of that.

Try explaining that to either industrial ag types or the new foodie crowd- you'll get a lot of blank stares. Both sides are a couple of generations too far away from hunger.

But as Earl used to say, the line between surplus and famine is always closer than you think.

Best, h

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I had to look your umbrage word up to understand the meaning.  I didn't take offense.  I'm not an industrial ag fan largely because of the loss of family farms but also because I think the big chemical and pharmacuetical companies have shown they aren't terribly trustworth at times but I realise everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Food that is raised more naturally just tastes better and is probably better for you. 

I think we are at a cross roads in US agriculture right now.  If we want any family farms left its now or never.

On your comment "But if there was a way for me to buy food from farms that support a family, practice rigorous IPM and environmental and conservation standards and avoid the most egregious of animal handling practices etc. I'd be more than happy to buy there as exclusively as I could and to pay a modest premium."  You'd be surprised at the number of farmers I get in our retail shop at the farm.  I know I sure am surprised because according to everything you read farmers are supposed to be opposed to what I'm doing.  My biggest complaints against what we do is that its way too much work to manage the production, processing, and marketing.  Its like having three full time jobs and if you don't do all three well the whole thing doesn't work.  The other complaint that I feel bad about is USDA makes this thing so crazy to the point we can't do this on what I would consider a "modest" premium.  I really look forward to the day I figure out how to do this in a model that will let me sell to the masses but I'm a long ways from that.  We supply food to people with enough disposable income to make a definate choice about how they want their food raised, processed, and handled.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Too many take what they have for granted and complain loudly when threatened. However, these same people do not have any knowledge how to change their own situations, instead hoping that their loud voices make a difference. The elites are too scared to get the masses educated in self-sufficiency. It is much easier to corral the uneducated than a truck full of smart pigs.

0 Kudos