cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Going down.

What is the price of pigs there now.  We are experiencing a downtown at the moment but everything points to that coming to an end in a couple of months.

Did you know that China eats half of the pork produced in the world??  Not bad ay.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Going down.

Our price is at $1.10 per pound in the meat which is down about 15 cents to where it was.  Our big story is how the ped virus will cut the hog numbers.  The market gurus say numbers will be down by 10 to 15% and that has run the market to all time highs. 

Has the ped virus affected our friends "down under"?

How much pork does China produce?

Senior Contributor

We don't have that virus, YET.

Not sure of their production but it is huge. They love pork and is the main meat. They also like dog meat and now farm them like pigs. Can you imagine that?????
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Well then that explains the low hog price in China.  All bark and no oink!

Senior Contributor

Just to put a twist on my difficulties. The guy who buys my pigs was literally murdered 2 days ago on the outskirts of Sydney. I don't know all the circumstances but 3 guys attacked him in his home and bashed him to death with baseball bats.

Looking for another buyer. ?????
Veteran Contributor

Thats a tough deal.  Hopefully they have found the killers and know the motive?

Marketing is harder here for the small independents.  Gone are the days when me and my neighbors would put together a potload.  Getting a good price in a timely fashion is a challenge.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

From all reports he was a guy who did a lot of shady cash deals, some unfair dismissals from his trucking business and kept a lot of cash in the house all the time.  Make up your own motives but I think you get the picture.

0 Kudos