cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Good for Windom

I saw that, Glen Taylor Timberwolves owner going to start a hog deconstruction plant in Windom.  4,000/hd a day or about 1.5 million a year.  Back in the day Wilsons in Albert Lea did about 4,000/day and thought they needed to double it to be competitive, most be different economics these days.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I know a guy who is somewhat involved in this.  I'll let him know that a notable economist that I read on a daily basis says it's probably not worth the effort.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Well, when you see your insider bigshot you ask him about if 4,000/hd per day is now competitive ...I don`t know, back 25-30yrs ago they said it wasn`t.  Maybe now it is viable, I hope it is...we can always use more shackle space.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

These mid scale processors are getting 25-40% premium. The market is unlimited at those premiums. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

This here Sioux-Preme outfit butchers the Niman pigs around here.  They do Niman and if you have lighter weight one`s, they take them too and they go in the convential market.   But Sioux-Preme does about 4,000/hd daily.  I don`t know if the Windom plant was going to do specialty butchers or if they were thinking of competing with the big boys?

http://www.siouxpreme.com/index.htm

0 Kudos
Advisor

Rep from a rather large meat concern told an associate of ours just the other day that they could use at least 10X the number of no anitbiotic and non-CAFO pigs than they can procure today.  At the sort of premiums you are talking about.  Buck or better # live wt. for  the best of them.  The colored old, non-Euro genetics being the most desirable.  

Said that there are large grocery outfits prepared to take every pound if they could be confident of supply.

Biggest problem I can see for people who would like to convert "back" to that sort of a system is the capital they have tied up in the industrial model. And the way it is financed re: taxation etc.  No way to get out with enough left to set up something new, and nothing in the previous setup that would be convertable, other than the possibility of some permits and nutrient plans and such.

0 Kudos