cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Heinold Hog Markets

Hello,

I posted a question similar to this a few years ago, but have been away from this board for some time. I am interested in the history of Heinold Hog Markets, as my Dad worked for them back in the '70's, and several family members sold hogs to Heinold over the years. I wondered if any of you sold hogs to Heinold or had memories of this company you'd like to share. Hope no one objects to a little "nostalgia" being brought to this board. Thanks for any info. 

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Heinold Hog Markets

Don't mind a bit of nostalgia, in fact that is all I have to offer in regards to hogs.

Harold Heinold was a great success story- Indiana farm boy who controlled a very large chunk of cash hog movement at one point.

Don't really know how that all played out though, would be interested in hearing.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks, Hardnox for the reply. You said you'd like to hear how it all played out...I'll give you a quick rundown. As you probably know, Harold Heinold also formed Heinold Commodities in the late 1960's. Needing much larger capital reserves to fund the growth in the hog markets and to cover large margin calls on the commodities side, Heinold was sold to Dekalb Ag in about 1972. Here they would operate as a "wholly independant subsidiary." The entire management team stayed in control of Heinold, with Harold as president. In the mid-1980's, due to a change in the board at Dekalb, and a desire to shed some of their non-core businesses, Heinold Commodities was sold by Dekalb in about 1986. Around this same time, the employees of Heinold Hog Markets, Inc. were able to buy the hog markets, and would operate as an employee owned company. By this time, Harold was no longer involved with the company. Then, in 1988, Heinold would sell about 40 market locations to IBP. These markets included the entire state of Iowa, markets located in western Missouri, and a yard or two apiece in the states of Minnesota, S. Dakota, and Kansas. Finally in 1993, due in large part, I'm sure to changes in the hog industry, as well as the fact that IBP was buying the old Wilson (?) plant in Logansport, Ind.,  Heinold sold their remaining yards to IBP. These former Heinold yards were then labled as "IBP Hog Markets" until Tyson bought out IBP. Several old Heinold markets still operate as Tyson today. There are, I believe 4 yards still operating as "Heinold." These are located in  Burlington, IN, Atkinson, IL, Jones, MI, and offhand, I can't remember the town name in Missouri. These yards deal mostly in sows, boars, and "junk" type hogs, and sell to various packers.

You're right, the Heinold story is a remarkable one, and I'm very interested in learning all I can about it. It was also, I believe a great advantage to farmers, as they received the benefit of competitive bids from the many packers that Heinold dealt with.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
bmhall24
Friend

I doubt you will receive this as it has been a couple of years since your post.  Harold Heinold was my grandfather and I would welcome any opportunity to provide some insite as to where the company went, how things played out, etc...I'm actually trying to get a more clear understanding of exactly what it is that happened over the years myself.  Maybe we could connect through other channels to discuss

Contributor

I would very much like to get in contact with you. I was fortunate enough to meet your Grandmother and (I'm assuming) your Great Uncle Jim Yergler a number of years ago at their Kouts office. I am actually trying to compile a written story of the Heinold companies and would welcome any information you may give me, as well as share my information with you.

0 Kudos
Ssteinke5
Friend

I am not a relative of the Heinhold family, yet my grandfather Harry Postma was a leader in building many of the Heinhold markets in the Midwest. I have many fond memories of playing at the Heinhold headquarters while he and Harold chatted in the office. He was also a part of the development of the racing pig team. Very fond memories. Do you have a list of towns the markets were in. I love to photograph his buildings.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Ssteinke, I have sent you a private message. I do have what I believe to be an at least nearly complete list of towns that Heinold was located in over the years, I have also photographed many of them. Also, I have some articles mentioning your grandfather from "The Squealer", the Heinold companies' newsletter.

0 Kudos

It is a pleasure to see interest in Harold Heinold .  He saw potential in me and allowed me to become a market manager. 

I trained at Burlington In. under Richard " Nub " Welsh for 18 months.  I then was sent to a struggling market in Fancy Farm Ky .

In January 1978 I was transferred to Willow Hill Il. Heinold had purchased an existing independent market from L. J.

Stephens .  I ran this market until the IBP buy out.  I had a close relationship with all the Heinold management. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

@willowhillarh wrote:

It is a pleasure to see interest in Harold Heinold .  He saw potential in me and allowed me to become a market manager. 

I trained at Burlington In. under Richard " Nub " Welsh for 18 months.  I then was sent to a struggling market in Fancy Farm Ky .

In January 1978 I was transferred to Willow Hill Il. Heinold had purchased an existing independent market from L. J.

Stephens .  I ran this market until the IBP buy out.  I had a close relationship with all the Heinold management. 

Hi everyone. Just came across this post, and thought I might share a National Hog Farmer link from a few years ago. We're based in Montana and sell culls to a Heinold station in Creighton NE.

http://nationalhogfarmer.com/people/gary-machan-0515

0 Kudos
deerguy44
Senior Reader

I sold many hogs to them at their  Promise City Iowa Station.  They would work hard to get me the best bid,and usually did.  they were topnotch people and always treated me with respect.

0 Kudos