Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Heinold Hog Markets

Did this story get published?

0 Kudos
wfisher711
Visitor

You all might be interested to know that Heinold also had a cattle markets division in addition to all their hog markets. My father, Fred Fisher, was the first and I believe the only president of that division.

0 Kudos
echansla
Visitor

My Dad opened (1956?) and ran the Heinold Market in Leland, Illinois until 1968.  I spent a lot of time working at the yard so have lots of memories.  Have some pictures as well - somewhere - a few of which are of the periodic company gatherings at Kouts, In.   Merle Stangeland worked for my Dad and eventually ran a Heinolds of his own in Marengo for many years.  I know of someone with the last name of Meyer that used to drive trucks for George Shaw out of Somonauk so was at the market frequently.  

Have more if anyone is interested.  I also have interest of what happened after my Dad left.

0 Kudos
bmhall24
Friend

My grandfather was Harold Heinold. I’ve been keeping tabs on this thread for some time and it’s always wonderful to read the posts about their business and the lives they impacted. I grew up running around that office building in Kouts, IN. To say I know the deep details would overstating but I have familiarity with many of the happenings in their business. Would be happy to share anything I may know if you have questions.
Honored Advisor

Did Heinold source hogs for packers?  See, around here it is/was John Morrel/Smithfield, Hormel (pronounced (Horm-All to us natives), IBP/Tyson, Swift.  But we didn`t have any Heinold buying stations.  There are outfits that buy, nowadays odd lots of hogs and send them to packers that need them the most, like Schmitt, Farrow, Lynch and such.   And from what I`m told there is more money in those odd lots of hogs than in a negotiated prime butchers.  Piggy sows are discounted when bought, but the fetuses are sold to universities for boo-koo bucks. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

BA, that is exactly what Heinold did. Of course, in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, there were many more firms slaughtering livestock. in a 1960 newspaper article, it was stated that during 1959, the then 13 locations of Heinold Hog Markets had purchased more than 1.1 million hogs from over 32,000 hog producers, and in turn sold them to 96 packers. I know one of Heinold's larger packer- buyers at that time was a packing house in Newark, NJ named John Englehorn and Sons. Later, one of Heinold's biggest customers was Frederick and Herrud (later known as Thorn Apple Valley) of Detroit, MI. Other large buyers of that time included Superior Provision Company/ Sugardale Foods of Massillon, OH; Penn Packing Company of Philadelphia, PA; Crown Packing of Detroit, American Meat Packing Corp. of Chicago; and Utica Packing of Utica, MI. Heinold sold to several smaller packers, as well. Heinold's specialty, if you will, was that it was a buyer for all classes of hogs... market hogs, light hogs, heavy hogs, sows, boars, and "junk" hogs. Heinold then could take advantage of their large volume of hogs bought across a good portion of hog producing areas to sort and move loads of hogs tailored toward that type that specific packers wanted. After Heinold was bought by IBP, and later Tyson, the remaining "Heinold" locations dealt almost exclusively in sows, boars, and off- hogs that IBP/ Tyson did not kill. Today, as a result of the DOJ ruling that Tyson had to divest itself of Heinold before acquiring Hillshire Farms, Heinold Hog Markets is again an independent company, still dealing in those sows, boars, outs, etc. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Interesting stuff, you guys need to write these stories down and maybe put it in a book one day.  It seems to me Mark Oppold worked for Heinhold Commodities and would do a 6 minute market segment on the radio, he`d end it with "Have a profitable day!"   Maybe it wasn`t Heinhold, but I could swear it was.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

1. I would think that i will have some Merle pictures. I know there’s a couple big picture frames around with all the markets on it once color one is black and white. And I do know that my mom had every copy of the squealer since it was put out. Alan Meyer was at  Greensburg and then young man on here with the last name of Hall has to be Donna’s son. My dad was Nub (Im thinking 39 yearswith Heinold)   (Im Pat 20 years with Heinold)
0 Kudos
Contributor

Mr. Welsh,

I am no relation to Alan Meyer... my dad was assistant to John Baird at Leland from about 1973 to 1981. I remember the large framed picture of several markets that hung in the office at Leland. If I remember correctly, that particular one also had a cut- out photo of the manager pasted next to the market photo. I would love to find one of those for sale someday... ha ha! I believe that you had two uncles that worked for Heinold, as well, didn't you? Also, there is a photo in an old Squealer that looks like a large neon sign located in the Burlington parking lot... is that correct? If so, I would bet that that was an impressive sign at night... 

0 Kudos
jocmp183
Friend

I know this is a very old post but it brought back great memories. My dad Tom Campbell ran the Galva,I'll market in the 60's and early 70's before going to work for the commodities portion of the company.
I have vague memories of meeting Harold Heinold and his family when I was young. We would go to Indiana for meetings yearly I think. It was a good life that was given to our family , thanks to all who we're part of the company.
0 Kudos