cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wfisher711
Visitor

Re: Heinold Hog Markets

I knew your father. He was a friend of my dad, Fred Fisher, who was the president of the heinold cattle markets. Really liked your dad. I actually worked at the Galva hog market between my undergrad and grad year at U of I. I think that was the fall of '71 because I turned 21 that November while in Galva. I was staying at the only hotel in Galva. And if I remember correctly your dad & mom as well as the other gentleman in the main office there, sadly forgot his name, were at my wedding in Chicago the summer of '72. Small world. William Fisher, wfisher711@gmail.com. I now live on Kiawah Island off Charleston. Was in the food business for 40 years. Finally retiring two years ago after running the Institute of Food Technologists Washington DC office. All the best, Will Fisher

0 Kudos
jocmp183
Friend

That is so cool that you knew dad, I was hoping someone would find this post even though it was years old . It might have been Verlin Jackson who was dad's immediate boss and a good friend.
0 Kudos
wfisher711
Visitor

Verlin Jackson, that's who I was thinking of. Him and his wife were also at my wedding. While I was in Galva, Verlin let me use his old green pickup truck. And now that I think of it, the guy who ran the hog market in Galva was Willy, I think. Oh what memories. Attached is a real antique that I found years ago and sits on my book shelf. Hope you can open it. Cheers! William Fisher, wfisher711@gmail.com

IMG_2189.jpg
Highlighted
jocmp183
Friend

Yes it was Verlin and his wife Joann, that is a neat collectable. I'm so glad you have shared some of your memories of the Heinold era with me. I'm out near Reno now, I raise a few hogs on occasion just for food for my family.
Pigs will always be a part of my life.
0 Kudos