cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Hog Production Program

I was wanting to know what would be the best type of hogs for me to start my new pastured hog business with. I'm want to have pigs that are real good mothers,good meat,good size litters,and hardy for outside raising? I would like to Start Crossbreeding  Program to bring out the strengths that I won't in my hog herd.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Hog Production Program

You asked the questions which every pig breeder across the world would like the answers to. You surprise me that those queries are freely available on a forum like this.  

There are plenty of experts on here who will tell you how to do it but not a lot who can shows you how.  It is a paradox that you want outdoor pigs and also the other features because it will not happen.  I can hear the bellows of disapproval now from all the old pig mums watching but none of those outdoor joints tend to have sustainable futures and figures.  There is this warm inner glow about having them "natural' but that is a cover for not wanting to invest in yourself i.e. in sheds.   As I speak it is raining hard and if you think new born piglets will all survive in those conditions you will believe anything.  The reason the big majority are in sheds is for economic reasons but if it makes you fuzzy inside, go for it.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Hampshire.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I would suggest you contact International boar semen, in Iowa. Remember the British still have a significant number of farrowing outside yet. Sying that I would suggest the Wessex Saddleback , which looks like a hamp but mothers like a landrace. Do not listen to these people and their negative talk. I think you are on the right track. Any more questions and I will try and answer them.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My pigs will have shelter but the movable kind. In my area there are those who are starting to lean toward pastured pigs and hogs.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

How many head are you talking?

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Just curious what part of the country you from. Do you raise your own corn, what type of soil do you have. Why are you going this way instead of the usual contract feeder way. what does the bank have to say about this. The reasons I ask is I am  a    pig breeder and my job is to determine what will happen in the future.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I live in Selmer,TN.  No, I don't grow corn but I will buy from some small time farmer's for my feed. My goal is to raise and breed hogs for breeding stock because there is not many breeders in my area. I also want to sell feeder pigs to farmers who want to rasise pigs but does not want to deal with the breeding part. At this time I work for Rose Creek Farms in Selmer,TN. I already have a person who will buy 10 a year from me when I have some for sell. I know how to work with pigs and hogs and I enjoy it everyday. I was just wanting to know what type should I start my business with.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I only want to start with 1 boar and 1 sow or gilt to start but I do not want to go above 20 head of pigs at one time.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

If you are only planning to have one or two sows, consider artificial insemination. It can be done in a pasture; use a stock trailer if for nothing else to stay out of the sun (it can kill the sperm). Boars can become bossy, hard to work with, and even harder to maintain breeding weight. Just make certain that whatever breeding you use, will produce a product that your customer will want to purchase.  That means look at not just breeds, but lineage. There is a lot of variability within the breeds, even today. That is not a bad thing either.

0 Kudos