cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Hog Production Program

@honor96 wrote:

I live in Selmer,TN.  No, I don't grow corn but I will buy from some small time farmer's for my feed. My goal is to raise and breed hogs for breeding stock because there is not many breeders in my area. I also want to sell feeder pigs to farmers who want to rasise pigs but does not want to deal with the breeding part. At this time I work for Rose Creek Farms in Selmer,TN. I already have a person who will buy 10 a year from me when I have some for sell. I know how to work with pigs and hogs and I enjoy it everyday. I was just wanting to know what type should I start my business with.

I think I was right with my first assesment.  Take my hat off for having a go but a warm inner glow about pigs will not pay one bill.  You live in a dream with lofty ambitions like that.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

One thing most should have learned from the recession is to NOT put all your eggs in one basket.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Honor Check out The red wattle hog.

They are very easy going, will farrow 11 or twelve, thrive in a low cost housing environment and command a premium for the freezer market.  there is a breed web site or you can check out www.idleriverfarms.com

just know that if you are going to farrow with out pigs guards you will have 30% mortality due to crushing.

Also check out joel salatin on pasturing hogs. You need a lot of land and the pigs will forage for about 25% of the needs and will still need to be feed a balanced ration.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Tkank you for the your advice. I hope all is going well for you. 

0 Kudos