cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Hog prices to 'soar' in 2011?

It sounds like your husband has an addiction of seeing buildings full. Was that bullheadedness before or after his own accident? Hope that he will be able to handle it as the finishing pigs and sows go to town. The distance between hog farms can clearly help make predictable disease easier to travel too. It's been easier to get custom hire here than livestock help.Too many like the work as long as it is not "work." We decided to keep the herd small so as to keep the outside labor out and for biosecurity. Just make certain that the inlaws do not use the absence of hogs to stay there another winter. Better yet, get them in during the spring.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Predictions from an economist are no less accurate than those from a weatherman in Nebraska. It would be great if the prices were better, but the only thing you can control is on your farm. Diversification is the name of the game when it comes to stocks/bonds/commodities. The same holds true for farming.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Bullheaded... all his life.   Until the help got hurt he did very  little of the day to day hog work.    I do all the farrowing nursery with the part time help.    I mark, sort, load and haul market hogs.  Check and oversee breeding.     DH  was in charge of making all the feed... from scratch,  maintenance and overseeing the employee in the finishing buildings and hauling the manure.   I do not like moving or sorting pigs with my husband.   He can not sort without  telling people where to stand.    He will not adjust to anyone else.   We must adjust to his way.  

In-laws can't do any hog work or etc anyway.   All they can possibly do is call someone else to show up and deal with the hogs or generator if the power goes off. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I was talking about getting your inlaws into the assisted living center this spring. They may get used to the new life instead of dragging their feet or changing their mind based on a nice winter.

0 Kudos