cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Hogs At 6 Year Low

Hog prices are at a 6 year low. Part of the reason may be the WHO news linking pork processing with cancer. http://farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2015/11/weekly-outlook-hog-prices-drop-6-year-lows.html
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Hogs At 6 Year Low

What, people that gorge themselves with pork listen to what the WHO says and are concerned about healthy eating?  Smiley Very Happy   I don`t know, people seem to be numb to experts them that something`s bad for you one day and good for you the next.

I think it`s supply supply supply, the hog market is wrecked all those shiny buildings have to be filled regardless of the price and new one`s come up everyday.  The negotiated daily sales of hogs is probably something like 5% of the supply, the hogs coming out of the shiny buildings are considerably higher than $40cwt quoted on the radio.

Feed is cheaper than it has been in the past 6 years, so I suppose those lower costs are going to get plugged in to livestock prices.   That`s the thing with the structure of the pork industry today, there is no light ever at the end of the tunnel.  There may be a short term black swan issue like PEDV that improves prices, but it seems to always get quickly resolved and overproduction is always 1 year away.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Did someone forget the  high  $$$$

0 Kudos
Advisor

Picked up a 360# old line colored genetics hog from a buddy a couple of weeks ago. He said all he could get for him in town was light sow price...around 30 cents.  Gave him $120.  The red one we got from him last year weighed 255#. I looked it up and the check was for $165.  

Big, heavily marbled chops the size of rib eyes..

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Good for you Bruce, supporting your local hog farmer and realizing the savings. You bought the pork for 50¢ lb probably have another 50¢ in locker fees for a average price of $1/lb of pork.  I have no idea what bacon and ham and such is in the supermarket but you got a really good deal there.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Watching an episode  of  ''  Chefs  Life ''  on PBS  Create where the chef lady goes out to a farmer place  and purchased a live hog out a '' dirt pen '' in Carolina of all places - very interesting the mood of the consumer as of late --- 

0 Kudos