cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Hows business

Current pig prices are $3.20 per kilo dressed for 85 kg baconers, $4.40 per kilo dressed for porkers dressing about 40 kilo(100 lb) and sows are fetching about $1.30 per kilo live.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Hows business

I can`t disclose the price I get for baconers due to producer confidentiality.  But I sold some sows the other day for 41¢, they were over 500lbs  that would be 90¢ per kilo and the US dollar is .74 to the Aussie dollar, so it`d be about $1.22 AUD per kilo. If I`m doin` my cipherin` right.

Sow prices have come up in the last few weeks about $10, due to speciality products picking up. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Producer confidentiality?????  Do you have a contract? Why would it matter if someone knew the price?  Are you sure you are getting more than the next guy or is that confidential too?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Most hogs in the USA are sold off a formula price based on the cash/spot market.  That spot market makes up about 2% of the marketplace.  Its an interesting interpretation of the Packer and Stockyards Act.  9 CFR 200's but who cares about transparent competitive open markets for FOOD.  Not really important.  We'll just buy it from south of the border or China.  

0 Kudos