cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: I am not a confirmed mud man, but pigs do need some, I must confess.

I'm only about 20 or so miles from blacksand. We were 9 below this morning. Pigs were running around having a blast in snow. I'll be first to admit taking care of animals in winter is a lot more work. And don't let the confinement boys fool you. They struggle also with severe cold and heat.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Good thing for you, NASA was killed by the Pres.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure what you farm Shag Man but I'm always fascinated with people that still think farming isn't a science and numbers based career.  Its 2013.  Commodity, Niche, or hobby farmer you've got to be on your game.  I'm afraid to say the crop farmers might find that out in the next few years.  Us livestock boys have been living it for years.  

Along those NASA lines.  I went to Purdue University.  We have more astronauts than any other university.  I started out in aeronautical engineering.  Ended up taking up space.  roflmao

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Why would you discourage someone from getting a college degree?  I don't understand?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Please repost where I discouraged getting a college degree, as far as farming being a business, I totally agree.  If commodity prices tank the next few years I'm already prepared.  See I run a debt free operation including all land and equipment and believe it or not I've even got a little cash on hand (planning to use to purchase livestock in the spring), one crop growing in the field and all inputs bought and paid for for my spring planted crops.  College degrees, well I've got two of those as well, both from a 4 year accredited state university.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

"Re: I am not a confirmed mud man, but pigs do need some, I must confess.

Go ahead and get that Ag degree from UC Davis, let's see where that gets you. What a joke."

I would consider that discouraging a degree from UC Davis?
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

@belarus wrote:

I'm not sure what you farm Shag Man but I'm always fascinated with people that still think farming isn't a science and numbers based career.  Its 2013.  Commodity, Niche, or hobby farmer you've got to be on your game.  I'm afraid to say the crop farmers might find that out in the next few years.  Us livestock boys have been living it for years.  

Along those NASA lines.  I went to Purdue University.  We have more astronauts than any other university.  I started out in aeronautical engineering.  Ended up taking up space.  roflmao

My dad raised 1,000s of hogs out in the field with an 8th grade education.

And BTW, it is 2014.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The joke is UC Davis, not the degree.  Good catch 3020, it is 2014.  He's right, this farming is a numbers game.  Smiley Very Happy

I also agree with 3020, I'm a 6th generation producer of my family farm and am the only one that has a college education.  The school of hard knocks must be considered as well.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Point well taken.  2014.  Please don't ever mean that I thought a college education is necessary to raise pigs inside or outside.  I just meant intelligence is necessary.   Your dad had to be intelligent and a hard worker.   My dad and grampa raised tens of thousands of hogs out in the field over their lifetime.  I intend to raise six figures in my lifetime.  My grampa got kicked out in the tenth grade for throwing the principal down the stairs.  And he was a d@m# good hog man.

I'm really not trying to argue with anyeone.  Anyone that farms has to have a solid head on their shoulders.  A degree doesn't mean intelligence.  It takes hard and smart work to get ahead in agriculture.  And I think it requires smarter and harder every year in the pig business.  Just my opinion.  And just like that opinion and fifty cents used to get you a cup of coffee things change.  My opinion and $3-$5 will get you a cup of coffee.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

In this day and age I'd never discourage anyone from a college education.  And my point was missed I think.  It requires intelligence to raise hogs in the field.  Intelligence is not synomous with eduction.

0 Kudos