cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

I would like to start a pastured Pig production.

Jump to solution

I live in Selmer,TN. I would like to start a pastured pig production but having a hard time putting a marking plan together for a business plan. Does any one have any advice for me or anyone I can email? My email is honor96@gmail and and would like any input please and thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: I would like to start a pastured Pig production.

Jump to solution

Check on some info from U. of Wisconsin at Madison - they seem to have a pretty good variety of dealings of this nature---  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

How big are you thinking of going?
There is money to be made, going small-scale, and direct selling the hogs to customers.  If you have any local packing houses, you can approach them, if they are looking for hogs to process.  The hog producers here locally all died out, except for one or two, and one guy is doing very well, with 12 sows, farrowing 2X a year, and hauling the hogs directly to the processer, for $200 a head.  He raises about 200 head a year, at $120 a head or so above the cost of raising them, but to be fair, he has to deliver them 4-5 at a time.  However, that comes out to maybe $15,000 + profit for the year, at something that is almost a hobby.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

I want to thank you for your advice how do I make a marketing business plan that will help me to get the finance I need to get a 5-6 pig operation going? I want to do CSA Meat shares, Sell to direct customers, and take hogs to the packing houses. Who do you suggest I talk to for help with making a 6 hog production business plan?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

I would recommend calling Niman Ranch.  If you can't make the budget and scheduling work for them you will struggle to make direct marketing work IMHO.  Stockman Grass Farmer is a good place to start for information.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

I'd start, by looking in the yellow pages, under 'meat lockers', and call around, or even visit in person.   I know I could sell 10-20 hogs per month, at $200 per head, this way.  I'd maybe have just cut way down, and kept on doing it that way, but when a farrowing house needs $15K for a new roof, it needs $15K, whether you farrow 5 sows, or 50.

The thing that really helped me, with selling hogs a few at a time through the lockers, was being willing and able to bring what the customer was willing to pay a premium for.

I had one guy, who would pay me $50 extra, sometimes more, to feed him a barrow, to 280#, and $100 extra, to 300#.  $300, for one pig, is not a bad return.  Another, would pay extra for a hog that was either a Hamp, or had red markings on it.  Even paid the packer to take a picture of 'his' hog to verify.  Some, wanted a 'smaller' hog, so that the cuts were smaller.  If you are willing to do things like that, there are people out there willing to pay you to do it, if you can find them.

If only I could have bred a hog that was all bacon, and pork chops, I could be retired by now, LOL.

Now, if you come to the bank, with a letter from 3-4 packing houses, each saying they would have no problem finding a market, for X number of hogs a month, at Y price, that would go a long way to getting financed.  I know, when a fat hog would bring about $125, I was getting $200, for a hand-picked one, up to $300 for a few I fed 'special', and about $150-175 for the so-so ones, and maybe market price for the odds and ends, and runts (there seems to always be someone who is willing to take a ruptured, bull-nose runt, if they can get it for a few dollars under the going rate)

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you and I will check into that and thanks for the Info.

0 Kudos