cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is PED virus on the way out?

4-2-14: The National Animal Health Laboratory Network reports 247 positive accessions out of 802 tested at 8 veterinary diagnostic labs. In addition, they adjusted last week’s number down to 270. This maintains the general downward trend in positive case submissions. No new states reported a confirmed case, so the number of states reporting at least one confirmed case of PED remains at 27.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Advisor

Re: Is PED virus on the way out?

According to the vets at a meeting I was at.   Only about 1/2 of the US herd has had it so far.   I think it will probably hit every sow herd eventually.    Maybe it will take a year.   But,  it is too easily transmitted.    

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Don't you think that being the same virus that causes TGE that it will likely have a very distinct season of the year that causes the most problems?

0 Kudos
Advisor

Remember it started in May.  Been hitting herds for a year now.    Having farrowed inside with TGE  I can tell you it doesn't die inside.  It might die once it gets hot and sunny.    Your herd simply developes immunity to it.   

The pigs I feed come from a farm that has already been hit and recovered.    I have 400 pigs in the nursery right now that were some of the first ones to make it.    They are healthy pigs.   What we never could figure out???  We get pigs every 9 weeks.   So I also had pigs weighing 250 and 80 pounds,   Both finishing bldgs are about 1/4 mile away from the nursery.    No shower out shower in facility here.   I was careful for about a week.   But,  I walk from nursery to finisher and visa versa.   Neither finishing bldg broke with PEDv.   You know the sows had to be shedding,  and the pigs should have been carrying someting from the farrowing crates.    Guess we were wrong. 

Bad thing I've heard is that some herds rebreak.   3 weeks raise nice pigs.   then 3 weeks not saving a thing.    Sow immunity is very important.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The re-break is what scares the beejeebers out of me.

TGE would hit our source every other year, which they figured was due to introducing a lot of gilts on about that cycle, and then it was only seasonally, when the blackbirds flew through. Who knows?

The thing has broken so hard so fast, it is not likely in my mind that it would just suddenly dry up. How many states even have enough hogs to count anymore? Isolated herds might skate by, firewalls have been erected by some production entities, and we can all cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Best case right now may be eventually dealing with PED like TGE, as endemic in the American herd, hitting cyclically in naive populations like new gilts. There are still problems like PRRS out there, as well.

If you want to stay awake nights, picture a virus like PED breaking in the human population...it's not just science fiction.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kay,  I think the pork industry should not try to scare people about what the corona virus could do to people if it ended up in humans.  The price of pigs could drop about a dollar a pound if they mainstream media got on that kick. Because I'm sure you are aware this is the same virus that causes TGE and SARS?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You know, I am not " the pork industry".

I am just saying that almost any microbe has the potential to go rogue, hop a species barrier, and create havoc in our healthcare system. It is far more likely to happen somewhere like China, where all sorts of animals are intermingled. This particular disease is a good cautionary tale.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes, its a good reason that we should use common sense instead of corporate greed to rule our decision making process.  Shipping spray dried plasma from China for feed in the US wasn't a wise move in my mind.  But I'm sure your industry and your pork board and our sold out government (cause they sure as $%# ain't mine!) would think these were appropriate decisions at the time.  And please don't take my posts as confrontational.  I agree with you that this corona virus and influenze are issues that China has and we shouldn't be mixing their pork products with US pig farms  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You know, Greg, i am sityingnhere in my dead daughter's former house this morning, just trying to get it together to trudge through another day. I really don't feel like you and your bull**bleep** are going to be worth any more of my time.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

USDA announces Friday that it will require hog farmers to report PEDv-related pig deaths.

See full story: Hog Death Reporting Required

What do you think? Is this necessary?

Mike

0 Kudos