Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Is PED virus on the way out?

If you want a recovery check from the government ---

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kay, I'm very very sorry for your loss.  I just don't think the pork industry should point out very loudly that the corona virus causing PEDv is the same virus that causes SARS.  Yes, our industrialized international food supply has risks but even this local direct marketing hog farmer thinks we should keep our paranoia to ourselves on this one unless we want pigs to be about a dollar a pound lower.  Its best to just keep this PEDv out of the media.  I also think it was a very poor choice for the industry to buy spray dried plasma from Chinese pigs for PEDv and Influenza reasons.  Very short sighted thinking.  I've yet to find anyone that thinks differently. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes, I think they will end up paying everyone that had the disease.  I also think a responsible government is going to be a little concerned that the corona virus causes SARS and PEDv.  Its probably not a virus, regardless of the strain, we wanted floating around the countryside in big numbers.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Amen to that thought about the plasma.  I can't see how the feed makers can keep PED out of the feed if they put plasma from any source, Chinese or American, in the feed, unless they heat it enough to kill the virus, and that might nullify all the antibodies they're trying to introduce the piglets to.  When are we going to learn the folly of importing so much from Asia?  Ash borers, PED, longhorn beetles, and the list goes on.

0 Kudos
Advisor

So I guess the "independent hog farmer" gets to show up to testify about his hardship so that the megas can get relief?

Like the Farm Bill, gotta have the guy in bib overalls to seal the deal.

0 Kudos