cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Just too predictable

The mainstream ag media spoon feeds farmers stories that helps perpetuate this mess.  If I had a dollar for every story now about how Smithfield is ready to ramp up production to meet the worlds demand or how the rest of the world can't raise hogs anymore I wouldn't need to raise animals.   Just six months ago wasn't the same media telling everyone we had way more pigs than the world could ever use?  Hype sells whether its the mainstream or the ag media.  Start keeping gilts and lets see just how quick commodity production can be run to three years of red ink.  Sounds like a plan.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Just too predictable

The end is within site for us.Smiley Sad  I have already farrowed my last gilt.    Depending on how many litters we keep the current sows for :   We will be done farrowing the end of May 2011 or Oct. 2011.   7 months later the slow growers will be all gone.    Think it will be time for a real vacation  FINALLY!   Each time I do something in the farrowing house I wonder what I'll be doing a year from now.   

0 Kudos

Re: Just too predictable

We don't have that trouble here.  We are getting swamped by imports from your country, Canada and Europe. Of all the pork consumed here 60 per cent is imported.  Our kill numbers are now halved after the big clean out a few years ago.  Our heirac hy predicts we will be a net importer of pork by 2020.  Makes you want to continue on a bit further eh?

0 Kudos