cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Large hogs in China, fake news?

They talk about 1100 lb hogs which would be ridiculous....waste of feed. But then they talk about going from 110kg to 140kg that would be 300lbs more believable.  Some raise them over 400lbs, but that would just be raising fat, not meat.  But if they want to import feed for that inefficient gain, be my guest.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-breeding-giant-pigs-size-002722756.html

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Large hogs in China, fake news?

BA, 1,100 pounds seems awfully big, but we are talking about China's hog inventory that consist of a lot of small and  inefficient farms. China might raise more hogs than we do, but they are pretty much where we were back in the 70's and 80's in terms of technology and biosecurity. I see they did purchase 900 breeding hogs from Denmark recently. Maybe they are just trying to see how fat they can make a bunch of new Landrace hogs Smiley Very Happy 

BTW, how far are you from the Charles City area? I was hauling wean pigs out that way a while back. I do most of my hauling in southern Michigan to the new Clemens facility. Ive been hauling hogs for 6 months and so far I have hauled over 65,000 pigs. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Large hogs in China, fake news?

Hey Blacksand, good to hear from you.  I`m about 80 miles from Charles City, that`s where they made Oliver/White tractors.  There are a lot of hogs from Chuck Town to Waterloo, Iowa Minnesota South Dakota are getting full pits and not many places to haul so far with this weather.  Tis the season for foam too, my goodness a guy had foam coming through his slats.

0 Kudos