cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Ok

What is the price of pigs over there? We are currently on about $3.00 per kilo dressed for baconers and I am currently getting $5.00 for pork up to 40 kgs dressed.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Ok

Gough, our base price is about $78 cwt  if they yield 74% that`s $57.72cwt for a live hog (there may be premiums on top of that)    okay kilo is 2.2 lbs X .78= $1.72 The US dollar is 88¢ to Australian dollar so if my figuring is correct we are getting $1.95 per kilo for our "baconers"   Like always the American Farmer is getting screwed!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

Gough, our base price is about $78 cwt  if they yield 74% that`s $57.72cwt for a live hog (there may be premiums on top of that)    okay kilo is 2.2 lbs X .78= $1.72 The US dollar is 88¢ to Australian dollar so if my figuring is correct we are getting $1.95 per kilo for our "baconers"   Like always the American Farmer is getting screwed!

Your yield figure is interesting.  My pigs consistently yield 78%.  Are they still sold to a buyer or an abbattoir. Any co ops there?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I wouldn`t get overly hung up on yield Gough, if someone wants a high yield just withhold feed and water for a time before you sell `em.   However, you`re not selling free water and 10¢/lb feed for 57¢, i`ve seen 78% yields but that was because a snow storm delayed the time that they made it to slaughter. 

There are niche marketing coops, there are buying stations, you can go directly to the plant or you can market them at a auction sale barn.  But it isn`t like the old days, you have to set up a appointment and come on the day they tell you.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am not overly hung up about it as I dont starve them as you suggest.  They get weighed onto the truck and then off the abbattoir.  It must be right.

In oz we usually have a buyer which we deal with privately or if you dont trust him too much, through a stock agent who pays me. There are very few saleyards now because of direct consignment but one exists not far from here.  It is mainly rougher type paddock pigs and alot of them go into salami, etc.  And so they should.

70 % of the pork consumed here is imported from the US and Canada.  We re a diminishing species and mine go to a speciality market where rich mongrels banquet on whole pigs. $5 a kilo for 45 Kilos is big money but that wont last.

0 Kudos