cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Optimistic outlook despite PEDv

I wrote an update on PEDv and the hog industry, showing a mainly optimistic outlook for four reasons: a vaccine is available to help battle the virus, there is the potential for record-high industry revenue, warmer weather slows down the virus, and demand is steady. You can read the article here: http://www.agriculture.com/livestock/hogs/health/optimistic-outlook-despite-pedv_284-ar42486.

From a farm level, is your outlook optimistic? Have any of you used Harrisvaccines iPED+ vaccine? If yes, did it help slow down or stop the virus?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Optimistic outlook despite PEDv

I haven't heard anything all that positive about any vaccine. I hope they have found one that works...is it for all three strains, and how effective has it proven to be?
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Re: Optimistic outlook despite PEDv

What Harrisvaccines told me is that the first generation of their vaccine had mixed results in creating antibodies that would stop the virus from spreading. The second generation creates more consistent levels of antibodies and does a more effective job in controlling the virus. However, the second generation came out in January of this year so it is fairly new. Harrisvaccines is continuing their research and collecting data from producers using the vaccine, but it will be a little while until they have a better picture of how effectively it is working. I believe both the first and second generation of the vaccine were created to work against the first PEDv strain found in the states. They are still conducting research to see if the vaccine will work to control the other strains or if a variation of the vaccine will be needed.

0 Kudos