cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Pigs loose in Toronto

Thought you might find this story of interest. How 235 pigs can shut down a part of a city.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/10/04/pigs-highway.html

And this quote shows why the police and firefighters should retain a couple of us old pig farmers to help corral and move those pigs.

I can just imagine what inexperienced people are going through trying to move the pigs.

Listened to a reporter on the radio this am describing the scene, how 'the pigs were eating everything even trying to eat the ladders they put up to coral them.'

Almost had to pull the truck and trailer over till I quit laughing.

Police and firefighters have tried to get the remaining pigs back into the trailer but the animals have had other ideas and for the most part have been extremely unco-operative.

Police say the section of highway may remain closed until at least mid-afternoon while they work to corral the pigs and right the vehicle.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/10/04/pigs-highway.html#ixzz11PgH8Dtc

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Pigs loose in Toronto

20 years or so ago we were feeding hogs in cargill units after starting them in an enclosed barn to 80 # or so. We would as often as not if there were at least 3 of the 5 of us around drive the hogs from unit to unit rather than to  go to all the trouble and multiple trips with the hydraulic trailer to move a set from one shed to the next. As a consequence of that our 3 daughters became  quite comfortable and confident around hogs. Showed in 4H for years also which helped with that.

Neighbor had a big block barn and two conventional hog houses...alley down the middle and feeding floor outside on both sides, Lighting hits one and it starts good and on fire and 2 area VFDs show up. The hogs in the burning building had all gone outside and somebody decided it would be a good idea to try to move them to the other hog house, not that far away and along the same fence. It turned into a preview of this Toronto scene...grown men grabbing tails and tugging on ears and clubbing 150# pigs with whatever they could fill their hand with and such and hogs going in every direction....until this skinny little 13 or 14 year old girl in tennis shoes or flip flops and her little sister move toward the mellee and calmly gathered up and drove the scattered and terrified 40 or 50 or so hogs through an 8 ft. gate.

Probably a dumb thing to be proud of as a dad, but i was bustin' buttons.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Contributor

And, what happen to those two Duroc breeders Bruce? I have two daughters and they went to college, one Cambridge in England where I met with the president of the Britsh pig breeders, I am currently experimenting with frozen semen from England. So far the results are quite promising.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Very interested in those results..and in your family's experiences.

Email me at emlvmj49@yahoo.com

0 Kudos