cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Surprising opposition to Mason City Pork plant

Some in Clear Lake are worried that a new pork plant in Mason, 8 miles away will effect their tourism. I don`t know, when you go through Austin Minnesota, the Hormel plant isn`t that bad, some days you`re aware that it`s there, but it ain`t that bad and I`m sure the new Prestage plant will be all with the latest gadgets and in the industrial side of Mason by the junk yard and biofuel plant.

But 10,000/hd a day will be processed and maybe couple thousand jobs, good deal.

http://kimt.com/2016/04/04/many-opposed-to-proposed-hog-packing-voice-concern-at-clear-lake-city-cou...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Surprising opposition to Mason City Pork plant

BA,

How to say this delicately?...I strongly suspect that the smell of the proposed new pork plant in Mason City is not what the good citizens of Clear Lake are most worried about...if that makes sense?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Packard, are you telling me that the Prestage Bigwigs aren`t exactly Donald Trump supporters?   Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

One explanation is they don't want any more Mexicans up there.  I don't personally know if there is anything to that or not. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I hear it`s the Somalians that are making up the workforce now.  I don`t know, they were paying $12/hr supposedly, you can make more picking up pop cans, it ain`t your father`s packing plant these days with guys named Anderson and Johnson that take their paycheck and buy a home and send their kids through college.

That Dr Prestage is a real piece of work, that`s all I`m going to say about him and the way he handled the rejection of his sweat shop.

http://northiowatoday.com/2016/05/05/dr-ron-prestage-thinly-veiled-racism-and-kooks-ruined-his-hog-p...

* Read the comments for alot of my thoughts on the matter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Whoa! what`s up with this 2154 views.

Prestage was saying they found a more "rural site" probably in the Latimer area.  I don`t think it`ll be a local labor pool, rich 50yr old corn jockeys aren`t looking for a packing plant job  Smiley Happy  just sayin`