cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

boar size

I am a relativly new hog farmer.  We have had pigs for two years.  We bought a boar and a sow as piglets.  Recently we bought two more grown gilts.  The boar is now two and a half years old and we can not get the sow settled.  Last week we turned a gilt into the breeding pen.  She was in standing heat.  When he tried to mount her she was about crushed beneath him.  He could not get the job done.   I am guessing he weighs 7 to 800 lbs.  I am now looking to buy a new boar.  Can anyone tell me what the average length of time I could expect to keep a boar in a small herd.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: boar size

Did you limit the feed to the herd? Sow won't settle if she consumes too much energy and both will outgrow their usefulness quickly if on full feed. Feeding 5-8 pounds per day will keep their size in check. Modify pounds fed if their condition changes (getting too fat or too thin). If you're handmating, a small, young boar will breed a larger female, but keep them separated at other times. You don't want to get the boar whipped by the gilts or he won't breed at all. I have had breeding boars that are 3-4 years old before they are sold at 700-800 pounds or more.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes I feed about 5 lbs a day.  The problem I think I had was I wintered everybody together last year and the boar likely ate well over his five lbs.  He is now getting three lbs.  I was hoping I could work some of the weight off him.  He is a registered Red Wattle so it is kind of expensive to replace him every two years.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Do you have any fenced pasture for him to forage for his food. Provide water and let him "work" for his food. In the meantime, the gilts could grow to be bred by him. Research if anyone semen for that breed to use if you want to breed gilts now.

0 Kudos