cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

$ per pig space

my son is wanting to put up a confinment building. Approx 4800 head. Anyone willing to share $ per pig space or give a range to be in. We are just starting to research it.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Contributor

Re: $ per pig space

Just finishing will be low $30's,  w/f would be mid $30's.  Cost of a barn should be about $190 per space,  plus dirt work, well, road and land. By the time you get done you'll have  $1M in the project.

0 Kudos
Mike
Friend

Spoiler

IF this helps i Know people in the Fabrication business Who can Fabricate your trough, stalls, gating etc.

This would mean bypassing dealerships with no markup at cost.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi. I see I'm a bit late getting to this post but wondering if you all ever got this enterprise off the ground. I am wanting to start myself from scratch and would appreciate whatever advice someone would be willing to give on setting up a feeder to finish unit and what I need to know that isn't so obvious to a beginner.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

It will cost over $200/ space before it's done. I would spend the extra money and build two 2499 hd barns half mile apart and put them under different llc names then the deq won't bother you much and flow would be better you might even end up feeding for two different people someday. I have two sites and one is a Cafo. Mine cost way less than that and I get 36 and 39. I would go feeder finish and try to get 38. You will need it to cash flow enough for the amount of labor you do. I would also build a long skinny barn with a load out in the center and curtains my tunnel costs 1,200 month for electricity in the summer and curtains with stir fans is 25% that and the pigs do just as well.
0 Kudos
Contributor

John W

We are in NE IN and swine industry is at a stand still. The people my son was going to contract with stopped all expansion. Still playing the waiting game. lol  Most of the contractors around this area want 4800 head buildings. Gotta build what they want. Like it or not.

0 Kudos