cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allisman1984
Frequent Reader

pig feed

Buying some 25 feeder pigs this will be my first batch of pigs just wondering what's the best feed. i have ear corn to grind just not sure what to mix with it
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: pig feed

Check the corn for aflatoxins. You can price distillers grains or soybean meal to bump up the protein.Then you will need a premix to balance out the vitamins and minerals missing. What are you using for shelter?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Do you have a grinder --- if not they will shell the corn off the cob themselves -it will occupy their time and energy --- for 25 head you could hand feed a protein source such as oats--- as  WT said make sure you have adequate fencing - shelter and water and bedding --- check a small farm website or maybe organic part of this site if you choose ---

0 Kudos
allisman1984
Frequent Reader

Yes im going to use a older hog barn and the ear corn is year old corn im going to grind im just clueless to how to make a good feed

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Oats would provide too much fiber for a finishing hog, especially if you add the corn cobs too. Unless the hulless.There used to be several companies that sold a swine protein nugget to hand feed too, but haven't heard of them in such a long timel. Another source of alternative protein would be hand-feeding a nonmedicated poultry feed in addition to the corn. Check with the university extension swine sites for exact percentage of protein or amino acids the pigs will require as they grow.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Is there a feed store/mill anywhere near you?   If so, check with them to see what their recommendations are.  If they make hog feed for commercial operations they should be able to give you recipes for the different stages of growth, and also have premixes and soybean meal to provide what your corn doesn't, ie. protein, vitamins, minerals, etc.  If you have a grinder/mixer and plan to grind your own corn I don't recommend grinding whole ear corn for pigs.  They aren't particularly fond of cobs, whole or ground, and the cobs don't have much feed value for pigs, either.  My grinder/mixer has a sheller attachment I use when making hog feed, but those aren't very plentiful anymore.  If all you have is ear corn and you can't shell it before grinding, I agree with wt that it would work better to just feed the ear corn and let the pigs shell it.  Helps keep them occupied, although not necessarily out of trouble.  Ask the feed store/mill what they might have to provide the nutrients the corn lacks.  Our feed mill gets a lot of their ingredients from Akey out of Ohio.  Akey makes a cube for sows that provides everything the corn lacks.  I use it for our gestating sows.  They get a pound a day per head, plus a 5-gal. bucket of ear corn for 3 head per day.  That's a limit-feed diet for sows.  For your feeder pigs you will need to provide more corn so they can grow properly, but the cubes can still provide the needed nutrients.  We have occasionally taken market-weight hogs and put them on the cube/corn diet for a while to put some more weight on them without adding a lot of excess fat before butchering them for our freezer. 

0 Kudos

Pretty easy, think.

somebody surely still makes a complete protein supplement pellet which you can feed free choice  along with the ear corn freec hoice. Pigs will balance their own diet just fine.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The poor wretch is now so confused I would think he has sold the pigs in frustration.

0 Kudos