cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

pigs

What is the price of pigs over here at the moment?  Bacon is around $2.60 per kilo dressed here.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: pigs

Gough, I see you haven't received a reply in a week.  There aren't many hog farmers on this site, anymore.  We're a small-time operation in SW Michigan.  Just my wife and me.  We usually farrow 4 times a year, twice outside in late May/early June, and late August/early Sept., and twice inside during the fall/winter months.  We only have 12 sows right now, in two groups of six.  Six are with the boar, breeding last week after having their first litters in May.  The other six are due with their first litters right now.  First one had 10 today.  We usually feed all of them out to market using our own grain and purchasing soy bean meal and premix.  We did sell almost half of the May crop as feeder pigs due to the high price of grain and our own drought-shortened corn crop.  We kept all the wheat off our 7 acre field to grind for the pigs instead of selling it to the local flour mill.  I didn't think there was enough price difference between wholesale wheat and retail corn from the feed mill to come out, especially if there was any dockage on the wheat, not to mention  paying freight both ways.  We sell some market-weight hogs through a custom slaughter plant in the opposite corner of the county, about 26 miles away, to people who want a pig for the freezer.  Most of our market-weight hogs go to a buying station about 16 miles away, run by a regional livestock marketing cooperative.  We sell there on spot market, no contract, as we're too small to have enough pigs ready at one time for a contract.  They buy from us paying on live weight, and there is usually a charge built into our price for them to pay a trucker to get the pigs to a slaughter plant.  They pool hogs from everyone who brings them in to our local station, as well as the other stations they operate in the region, and send them wherever there's a market at a price to make a little money.  There is a buying station clear across the county for Tyson, as well, but I've never done business with them.  Most of our cooperative's volume is handled on paper, only, as they market for the larger producers who ship direct from the farm to the packers.  They do provide a marking service if requested, where the buyer goes out to the farm and marks the hogs ready to go.  The buying station stays open more as an office location than for the number of pigs it handles anymore.  A lot of the cull sows from the large farrow-to-finish operations around here also go through the buying station.  We're just thankful the station is still open, so relatively close to home, and is willing to take our few pigs.  If we didn't have this market we would be out of the pig business.  We've taken as few as two pigs at a time in, when that's all we had ready, and also full stock trailer loads.  If we get there early enough in the morning, and the office lady is there and a buyer is there to price the pigs, we come home with a check.  Otherwise, the check is available the next day, or they mail it to us.  As I said, our hogs are priced on live weight.  Most of the hogs in this country are sold on a lean carcass basis, which means there is no paycheck until the report comes back from the slaughter house, as far as I know.  Having said all that as background, we took 8 market hogs in this morning.  They averaged 272 pounds, which seems to be in the weight range they want.  Our price was 55 cents a pound.  Three weeks ago we got 58 cents for 258-pound hogs.  The futures indicate that prices will be dropping soon, as they usually do in the fall.  Those prices aren't break-even, I'm sure, for the big operations, but they are getting more than we are.  We don't have any debt, or much overhead, and no labor costs, so we can get by.  We could often get more for our grain by selling it instead of putting it through the pigs and cattle, but it doesn't hurt as bad when you've got your own grain to feed as it does when you have to buy it.  We've always felt we could generate more cash flow from our small farm by raising livestock instead of selling cash crops, and we get all that free fertilizer besides!  Hope this gives you at least a little information for your question.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I sell bacon for $6.99 a pound.  I have some salt, brown sugar, curing salts, and hickory in it though.  lol

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Are you sure it is the pork you are pickling or is it your brain.

0 Kudos
ChadStamps
Friend

I raise Animal Welfare Approved Berkshire pigs in Southern Iowa.  We get $2.75/pound hanging weight + butcher fees for them.

For the 'by the cut' stuff we sell cured meats at $7/pound and fresh meat for $5/pound.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

How much is bacon in Australia?

We do a dry cure for seven days and then 12 hours over real hickory logs.  Most bacon is pumped, passed by a smoke generator or sprayed with liquid smoke, and heated with steam.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I ask a simple question with no malice and you provide a smart alec answer as if you invented bacon.  But that aside, your little boutique operation is probably profitable.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You asked how much bacon goes for. I answered. Bacon was invented long before anyone around on the planet.  We are one of the largest niche livestock farms in the USA. And our smokehouse will hold 4000pounds. Stop in if you are ever in the US Midwest. 

US pig prices are dropping like a rock. Commodity producers are losing $30-$50+ per pig depending on when they priced their feed stuffs. Pretty nasty. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

@belarus wrote:

You asked how much bacon goes for. I answered. Bacon was invented long before anyone around on the planet.  We are one of the largest niche livestock farms in the USA. And our smokehouse will hold 4000pounds. Stop in if you are ever in the US Midwest. 

US pig prices are dropping like a rock. Commodity producers are losing $30-$50+ per pig depending on when they priced their feed stuffs. Pretty nasty. 

In this country, a bacon pig is a carcase weighing more than 65 kilos dressed.  It is not a cut off the pig, as you suggest.  Your answer had a little curved ball attached to it and you know it.

How could bacon be around on the planet before anyone invented it ?  What a ridiculous statement.  Oooooooh now I  get it,  it was here before humans and was made by god or some other silly myth.  Your capacity is not large by any means, there are hundreds here with that capacity.

Pigs are a stable $2.65 per kilo dressed here and about to rise.  There is currently a drought sweeping the main grain belt of Australia and grain is expected to rise sharply in one month.  Imports from yours and other countries are killing our domestic industry and your forecast above means it will only increase.  I would like to see grain prices in your country, go through the roof. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

What is the primary feed for hogs in australia?? corn? barley?? just curious

0 Kudos