cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: pigs

You misunderstood. Bacon was invented long before anyone that is currently on the planet. The US is just a lot more suited to hogs than your country. We have a competitive advantage.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

While we are on the subject of smoke houses.  Most of the bacon in the US is produced by five companies in rooms that will hold tens of thousands of pounds of product but I would still think a twelve truck smokehouse in the US is relatively rare.  Most operations have either rooms that would hold hundreds of trucks or a single truck smokehouse.  Perhaps Australia is different.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

why did my phone put my reply here?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Don't worry gough hates america and all it stands for.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thats a shame. I see the US as being less divided on agriculture. I think farmers and consumers alike on both sides of the issues are coming to the realization that the marketplace is working on deciding how pigs are going to be raised in the USA. This last go round of grain prices is going to rock everyone's world producer to consumer. Still plenty of room in this industry for hobby, niche, and commodity operations. None have an easy road just different issues.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Comrade - that is not true.  What you need to address is your country is NOT the best country in the world. Having said that, that is why you think I hate America because of my criticism of so many things american.  Hatred does not come into it.  You need to have more cement on your breakfast and toughen up a bit.

Old Belarus thinks he has been doing the rounds on me for some time.  One would think he wrote the book on pigs with his little boutique bacon factory so any others opinions do not matter.  He is in fact, just like a book.  I can read him all day.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

comrade - the main ingredients are wheat and barley.  We grow a little soy in the north of oz but most of it is imported from US and South america.  Other ingredients are meat meal, blood meal, fishmeal.  Some canola meal is used but is a bit expensive.   A lot of lupins are used for protein boosts.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

When you talk bacon, are you talking about cured meat from the back or the belly. Seems like every country has it own definition of "bacon."

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Sorry comrade - I obviously didn't make my self clear.  In this country a baconer is a pig dressing between 60 and 90 kilos, dead.  A porker is from 40 to say 60 and attracts a much higher price.  The chinese here only want to buy female pigs because they hate a little boar taint, so they say but it is used as an excuse to get the boars a little cheaper.

Of course the bacon off our pigs comes from the same place on the carcase as yours.  Email me if you want to talk more and I would only be too happy to communicate. Thanks for asking.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Gough, in the US 30 "farms" own 75% of the pigs. Well over 2 million pigs a week done in the USA.   About one percent of those are boutique artisan animals. I do about a quarter of a percent of those headed to a half a percent but feed costs might pull the plug on that jump. 

What you don't understand about me is I know that everyone has different resources.  Land, labor, and capital. Your operation should bem different than mine and vice versa. I just don't care for your arrogant attitude. There are probably more niche produced hogs in the USA than all the hogs in Australia because we have a competitive advantage because of our lands ability to produce feed. 

We do have serious issues as a country. We've got the democrats that are convinced that the government can solve all our problems. We've got the republicans that think that unbridled multi national corporations can solve all our problems. Both are wrong and both are the reasons our ancestors left Europe to set up a country where people had the opportunity to succeed (or fail) by there own efforts. We've lost a lot of those opportunities to right winged (consolidation/market abuse/foreign special interests) and left winged(governmental beauracracy and regulations). You'll see a revolution on American soil unless you are older than I think. Kay gets upset but bullets will fly eventually.

0 Kudos