cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

"Lean hogs"

Just wondering when the term "lean hogs" came to be? Seems like 20 years ago producers worked really hard at making hogs leaner. I typically haul around 10,000 hogs (market and feeder pigs) a month. Seems to me that most producers shoot for 300 pounds now, these are not lean hogs. As a consumer I like some fat with my pork chops or the dang things get too dry. Am I the only one that hates to see the market term "lean hogs"?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: "Lean hogs"

Fat is where the taste is.  That 25 year quest for the Landrace with 1/4" backfat kind of fizzled out.  300lb Durocs is where it`s at, raised outside. 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

BA, "raised out side". LOL . Shameless self promotion.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hey 3020,  I see confinement hogs everyday, they seem to be happy in their personal 8 square feet and total slats keep them clean.  These new barns don`t even have curtains to open in the summer, just a few windows.  IMO a hog should have access to sunshine and some soil to root in.  If I had to eat one, I`d want it to be a Outdoor Duroc mix  or maybe a Berkshire, they have small litters and grow slow, but probably a more preferable taste.   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Alan Meyer buys the show pigs from a local county fair. He pays the base price an d then takes the pigs, he's an independent buyer. This year he paid $.35. Then the businesses pay the premium to the 4H kids. Alan says he looses money at $.35. No body wants those show pigs. Like eating shoe leather.

0 Kudos