cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

80 Chevy C-70 tandem with 18 ft Midwest bed, transport doors, air tag axle PRICE REDUCED

1980 Chevrolet C70 10-wheeler

18 Foot Midwest bed with wooden floor (excellent condition) transport doors, and roll over tarp.

427 with 5 x 2, air tag pusher axle

A couple years ago we started having trouble with it getting hot.  Changed thermostat, had radiator rebuilt, still got hot.  Local mechanic looked at it and found the fan clutch was bad.  He said if we were willing to try something he thought he could fix it right.

He took the fan off the engine and put the electric fans for a Nissan 300Z in its place.  Baby will set and idle all day unloading into an auger and not get hot.

Cab mounts rusted out (seems to be a Chevy design flaw).  Had local machine shop replace the cab floor with new metal. Not light sheet metal, but the good stuff. Yes, the cab needed cleaned out when this picture was taken. Oh, and gas gauge works, I just never can remember which switch position is which tank!  That is why there is a farmer fuel gauge under the seat.

Heater core leaked a few years ago.  We replaced it and put in some hardware cloth to make it more difficult for the mice to play around. That is why there is no floor mat. We tried to make it as unattractive to mice as possible.

This is my Baby.  It's just my needs have changed and Baby doesn't fit our needs any more.  She's just a truck, but I'll miss her when she is gone. This truck works.  We maintained it to use it. If it doesn't sell I'll use it for wheat harvest.  I've tried to get an idea of a fair price and haven't found one quite like it, but $8,000 seems a fair place to start. What some of these trucks are selling for scares me!

West Union Illinois on map.gif 

Mike SE IL

MWayne@fireousemail.com

cell 217 822 4963 Service can be spotty here, so if I don't answer leave a message.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: 80 Chevy C-70 tandem with 18 ft Midwest bed, transport doors, air tag axle

A guy not far from here had a '79 GMC setup fairly similarly for sale.  Had the 427 gas, all-steel box w/ the 3 piece transport doors, and the small grain door in the center transport door, with Shurco roll tarp.

42,000 actual miles, always shedded,  no rust, air tag, and 9 of the 10 tires were new radials less than a year old, with one of the tires on the tag was about a year and a half old. 
When I called asking about it, he already sold it for $9000.

If you were closer, I'd seriously consider taking a look at it, as I am looking for something similar.  Just a good, solid older truck as I don't have all that much to haul, and only 17 miles one-way to haul it.

I never had a tandem-axle, and was wondering how much can you legally haul on that (in bushels of corn)?

0 Kudos
Advisor

Legally in Illinois a 10 wheeler can gross 50,000 if it is distributed correctly. THAT is the catch.  Illinois allows 18,000 on the steer axle, 32,000 on the tandems. I am  not familiar enough with the bridge law to judge how that works on this truck.  We rarely run on the highway, almost exclusively country blacktop roads. Empty weight on this truck is about 17,000

We typically put more or less 500 bushels of corn on it.

Veteran Advisor

Thanks a lot.  The empty weight helps a lot, I can just look up our axle limits, and go from there. I think we can't go quite as heavy on the steer axle, but are allowed to go heaver on the tandems.

Too bad we aren't closer together, I'd like to take a look at a couple trucks, before I bite the bullet.  Right now, I am considering a heavy-duty single rear axle truck.  Our weight limits on it are I believe 34.000# the way it is set up ( I will have to look into it deeper).  Weighing about 11K empty, that gives me about 400 bushels legally.  The kicker is, I think I can get it for under $3K, with all new tires, and ready to go.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Let's think about this  The truck costs $3,000

Nebraka Tire wants $1,586 for 2 new steer tires and 4 mud grips

Mounting taxes etc estimate $150

So for the price of the tires and less than $1,300 you can buy a pretty good truck?

Call the guy tonight and wake him up to tell him you want it.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

That's what I was thinking, too.

The fronts are 14 ply radials, to carry over 14K  (I think the legal limit in Nebraska is 16K, or less if the axle/tires aren't rated that high, I think it has a 14K front), worth about $350 each.  These tires are essentially brand new.  Rears are 14 ply bias, two on one dual are new, the other two have just enough wear to tell they aren't new (new ones worth about $250 each) and will carry the legal 20K.  The truck is essentially owned by a widow, who I have helped out from time to time, and she actually let me use the truck while the plates & insurance were still good (last harvest).  Runs good, burns almost no oil.  All it needs is a muffler, and it will be good to go.  I was just wondering if a 'bigger' truck would do me good, but now that I am thinking about it, I can pay $1-$2K a year for a semi, if I ever get behind.  I can keep up @ harvest, as I have a couple bins, so that might not be an issue.  She had the truck appraised for $3-$5K, and said I could have it for $3K, if I promise to use it, and not just sell it for a profit, IF she decides to sell.  She is considering keeping it, out of memory to her husband, and perhaps 'renting' it to me, but I think she realizes that she has no use for it, and will likely sell it if it goes to a good home.  It kind of surprised me, I was helping her move cattle, and she asked me if I wanted to use her truck in trade last fall (for helping with cattle).  We moved some cows around for her a couple days ago, and she kind of sprung this on me.  It sounds almost too good to be true, and I offered to pay at least middle of the appraisal ($4K) but she wouldn't hear it.  Says she owes me something for my free labor with her cattle.  I guess sometimes it pays to be a nice guy. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I got the truck home the other day.  The 'widow' (who is barely over 40 age-wise)  asked if she decided to keep the truck, or sold it to someone else for more money, could she still hire me to haul her calves to market?  I told her I'd help sort, and haul, just for the cost of fuel, like I always have, whether she sold the truck to me, kept it, or sold it to someone else, and should have some time this spring to help get to pasture, if she needed it.  I just wanted her to get the best deal on her truck, and I had time to find another.

She then proceeded to tell me that she noticed the truck had a hole in the muffler, and smelled of mice.  Because of that, the price was $2500, and not a penny more, and it was non-negotiable.  I asked if she was sure, and she said yes.

When I was driving it home, I started checking things on the dash, to be sure mice hadn't chewed a wire or something, and noticed when I flipped the switch on the dash to the other fuel tank, the guage showed 'full'.

Just thought you might be curious how the story ended.

Oh, and legally, I can haul 12K front, 20K rear, and with an empty weight between 11 & 12K (she couldn't remember exactly) that gives me a load of 350 to 375 if I get it loaded right.

0 Kudos