cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike se il
Advisor

Ford L900 twin screw with 18 ft aluminum Knapheide bed

DSCF0085 (Small).JPG1974 Ford L900 with 477 gas, 5 speed with 3 speed auxiliary, twin screw with 18 foot aluminum Knaheide bed with transport doors and twin cylinder hoist with stabiliizing scissors.

DSCF0077 (Small).JPG

It's a great truck for hauling from the field to the bin or to the local elevator. I can tell you what the odometer says, but I won't guarantee the miles because the dealer I bought it from didn't guarantee them to me.DSCF0063 (Small).JPG

Oh, and the tarp is junk. All it does is keep corn from rolling off the side quite as easily.

That's the summary, here's the story.

We traded a couple single axle straight trucks for this 10 wheeler a couple years ago. We were not satisfied with the way the bed would twist, especially if not loaded perfect or unloaded on not perfectly level ground. I mentioned at the local machine shop I was unhappy and Ralph said "I can fix that". He did. Ralph built a great scissor stabilizer for it.Scissors right (Small).jpg Took all the twist out of it.

Oh, one of my pet peeves is the brakes.  For years we had trucks with cable parking suggestions (I wouldn't call them brakes)  You'll notice new spring loaded cans on this.DSCF0071 (Small).JPG

When I hit the parking brake, it better not move.

It's not a highway truck. With some changes we are looking at it would be nice to have a truck better suited to going down the road easier to deliver grain . The Ford would do it, but it wouldn't be fun. In a moment of weakness at an auction this fall I nodded when I probably should have been shaking and bought 97 IH single axle tractor We've tossed around getting a short trailer or putting a second axle under the 97, lengthening the frame, and moving the bed and hoist from the Ford to it.DSCF0072 (Small).JPG I finally told Ralph to put it on his list. If we did not sell it by the time he was ready for it we would move the bed. If we sell it we're buying a trailer.

Ralph hopes you don't call.

I listed this late last year and got maybe 2 calls on it .. until last week when I got calls from Missouri, Michigan, and Ohio. So the clock is ticking. I'll be just as happy selling it as I will be using it for parts. If you want a good looking old truck ready to go to the field give me a call. If you wait until later this year it will be an organ donor by then. I've got more photos, will try and answer any question the best I can.

edit:  I forgot to include the price:  $11,000

We are 200 miles south of Chicago, 150 miles east of St Louis, 100 miles west of Indianapolis, and 100 miles north of Evansville.

Call me on my (sometimes flaky) cell phone at 217 822 4963  email me at mikebumpus at gmail dot com

West Union Illinois on map.gif

0 Kudos
6 Replies
petasucks
Contributor

Re: Ford L900 twin screw with 18 ft aluminum Knapheide bed

What are you asking for it?  I remember seeing this last fall,  I forgot how many BU you said it held......

0 Kudos
mike se il
Advisor

Re: Ford L900 twin screw with 18 ft aluminum Knapheide bed

Sorry about that, I KNEW I was forgetting something.  I dropped the price to $11,000.  It holds around 550 bushels.  We had a load of heavy dry corn this fall that scaled 600 bushels ... but that was exceptional. You can get 550 on about any time.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
mike se il
Advisor

She's auction bound

I decided to place this truck in a local farm consignment auction . Sale will be Saturday March 19 at Marshall, Illinois.  Sale bill is at http://www.knowlesauctions.com/

0 Kudos
Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
mike se il
Advisor

Re: So what did it sell for Mike? No Sale

Top bid was $3100.  I said for that I'd take it home and part it out.  Trucks just did not bring anything at that sale.

Right now it is out front of the shed with a For Sale sign on it.  I'll consider any reasonable offer.  I will even listen to an unreasonable offer.  , but I'm not down to  $3100 yet.

Oh, a side story.  After the sale I was helping a neighbor and family load some tires he bought.    His daughter asked if they could do anything for me? I said she could drive my pickup home and save me a trip. She agreed, so I jumped in the 10 wheeler and headed for a gas station (I knew better than leave much gas in a truck setting around a sales lot.)  I decided to see what 93 octane would do for it. Put in 15 gallons and started home.  Just got on the road and we got paged for a car accident.  When you ar motivated the old girl will pass things.  it was little old ladies in blue Chevy's and white Buicks, but I passed someone!

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

Re: So what did it sell for Mike? No Sale

I wouldn't have sold it for that either! Nice truck.

0 Kudos