Honored Advisor
Posts: 5,292
Registered: ‎01-10-2012

Re: Which stick welder should I buy?

[ Edited ]

The DC side will always be a smaller #.

You are over thinking it.

Just go buy a Lincoln AC/DC at the farm store for $450ish. (buy some extra welding cable and the splices so you can get more than 12 feet away from the welder.)

Get 6013 all purpose rod and be done with it. Want to have better luck get the blue coated rod. Most repair work is going to be done in the 130AC or 90 DC area.

Don't spend much on a stick welder because if you do much welding you are going to upgrade to wire. (there is a reason you don't see stick welders in a manufacturing plant)