cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cowfarmer
Senior Contributor

15W40 in IH

My neighbor told me he runs 15W40 oil in his 1066. I have a couple 1086's I still put straight 30 in. But I also have Magnums and a 2144 combine I put 15W40 in, it would be nice to just keep one oil weight on hand instead of two does anyone else run 15W40 in there older IH's.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Pat in CMO
Senior Contributor

Re: 15W40 in IH

I use 15w40 in my older Deere's (4020/4430). Never had a problem yet.  Patrick

0 Kudos

Sometimes I think we forget how many things oil does for an engine, and what makes the most sense when choosing one. Your 1086, being an older tractor, probably has a manual that stipulates using 30 weight oil in the summer.More than likely, that's because a good variable viscosity oil wasn't available when that tractor was designed. Engines might have changed some in that time period..but the basics still apply. You need an oil that flows adequately when the engine is cold..and protects when the engine is hot. The multi-viscosity oil..is better at accomplishing that goal than the old 30 weight. The newer oil..will also have detergents that are better designed to break down deposits in your engines...and hold the particulates that result in suspension so they can be filtered out. It will never hurt an older engine...to use newer style oils. The only place you can run in to trouble that way..is to use older oil in newer engines...because they operate so much hotter today, they might not have the ability to protect the engine. We've used 15w-40 in virtually every engine on the farm...from 1960's era gasoline truck engines....to the latest Maxxum tractor I own. The old 1026's we own...run just fine with that oil in them...and probably remain quite a bit cleaner inside because of it. I wouldn't hesitate one second...to run your 1086 on 15w-40, it will help the tractor start in the cold weather..and will protect the engine at full load in hot weather. I

0 Kudos
James22
Senior Contributor

I run 15W40 in everything and that includes a lot of IH's.  IH had a service bulletin that OK'ed using multigrade oils rather than single grades but change interval was lowered to 100 hours.  I got a copy of the bulletin and could look-up the number if necessary.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

We've run the 15w40 since it first came out on Dad's 766, as well as on our 1066, and 5088.  Years and years of use, and no overhauls on anything yet...although the 766 is getting as much blow-by as exhaust when idling.  Of course, being the chore tractor, that starts every day feeding cattle all winter doesn't help it any, either.  I can say when we went to multi-grade instead of 30W, it started much better in cold weather.

0 Kudos
onebigbyrd
Veteran Contributor

iused to change my oil at 100 hrs till once i did an oil sample. they recommendned 250 hr oil change but first do an oil sample. oil sample are cheap

0 Kudos
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

Like the others, we run 15W40 in nearly everything. No problems, and many of our engines are older than yours.

0 Kudos

This subject has come up before with many views.  All I can add to the discussion is the only time I have lost an engine was when I used 15-40 oil in an older engine that called for 10-30.  It's been a while but I believe the engine had less than 4K hours on it.

0 Kudos