cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

1680 catastrophic oil leak

Everything was fine when I left the field with my man running the 1680.  About 15 minutes later he calls me and tells me there is a problem.  I get there. He tells me there is an oil leak.  There is motor oil dripping down to the ground.  The entire deck below the engine is a lake of oil.  The fan has blown oil everywhere so I can't tell  where it is came from.  He tells me that he shut it down as soon as he noticed that the oil pressure was going down.  I think the red light coming on was probably why he looked at the gauge.  There is no oil on the stick.  I decide to put oil in it and try and start it to see where the oil was leaking and to see if the engine is damaged.  It turns over hard and slow and won't start. I hook up jumper cables. Same thing.  My local CaseIH shop guy says the rear main seal probably failed and all the oil was lost.

A number of years ago, I had a 1660 that had the oil pump fail.  Motor was wrecked before the operator could shut it down.  When you are harvesting at full throttle, full power, it appears that when the red light and buzzer come on it is too late.  By the time the operator turns and looks at the instrument panel, the bearings are already dry.

So how do I ensure that these events do not happen again?  We have stationary irrigation pump motors with Murphy set ups with oil pressure and oil level sensors.   An oil level Murphy may have saved me from this last blown motor.  But if I put a oil pressure Murphy on a combine, I want it set it to shut off  at higher than 10 or 15 psi.  In other words, suppose at full power the motor should have oil pressure at 50 or 60 lbs (I am guessing since the gauge has no numbers), and at low idle maybe 20 to 30 psi.  So you set the Murphy to shut off maybe at 15 psi.  Suppose the oil pump is failing for some reason and only puts out 20 psi at full throttle/power.  I will be damaging or at least wearing out the motor prematurely, if it continues to operate at this low oil pressure and the Murphy  will not shut down the motor.  What solutions are out there?  I would think with all the high tech stuff now there might be a system that will monitor the oil pressure and the rpms so that  the motor will not be shut down when the pressure is low due to idling.  But then would shut it down if that same low oil pressure condition occurred at higher rpm.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: 1680 catastrophic oil leak

That's a good idea or buy a more responsive after market warning system.  Some years ago a fan blade broke off and went into an oil filter on my Gleaner.  It was after dark (as usual that's when things go wrong) and it made an oily mess.  I didn't know what had happened till the combine started shuddering from oil on the belts.  Luckily I shut it off in time to save the engine.  Others I have talked to have had fan blades break off also on Gleaners but all their's went thru the radiator.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I'm surprised. All the Magnum tractors with the Case 8.3 liter have shutdown protection. Is this one of the 1680's that still has a Navistar/IH 466?.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No, its the Cummins motor.  I also have a 1688 with same motor.  They both have a buzzer and warning light but no auto shut off.

0 Kudos