cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

5140 IH electrical problem

IH 5140 flasher lights top of cab.

This tractor has been giving me problems for 1 and a half years now.

Blows 2 fuses,one each side of console.

Circuit includes 4 way flashers, signal lights and horn.

Have been chasing the system backwards from the lights (know how to lift the lid on the cab now with experience several times) each time I think i may have found a problem, tape or fix it and tractor will sit in shop and flash for hours.

Next time I am on the road i will discover no flashing lights and 2 blown fuses.

Horn is disconnected at the horn.

Have tried disconnecting individual lights and still blow fuses while travelling.

Further info.

While trying to trace this again yesterday the flasher unit quit flashing and then would start up again after a couple of minutes time out.

New flasher unit $78 and they have several in stock BUT will this solve my fuse blowing problem.

Have been looking at adding new lights and wireing them direct with a flasher unit from a car or truck.

Would skip the signal option and just have hazard lights.

Any ideas?

I do not have much hair left!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nwobcw
Advisor

Re: 5140 IH electrical problem

From what you have said about it working fine sitting but messing up on the road I would think there is a bare wire that shorts out when you are driving it but when sitting it doesn't move around so it is OK then.  But then again if the dealer has several in stock that tells you it is a commonly replaced item.   Problems like this are good for spending time in the warm shop in the winter.   Can you try a flasher unit from a friend's tractor instead of buying a new one?

0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

I have been working on that bare wire theory too and have gone over as much of the wiring as I can follow and see.

The flasher unit on this tractor covers many functions as it has 7 prongs on it so I guess I am hoping it has the problem internal in it.

When I checked with the dealer and they said they had 3 in stock I thought it was a part that failed often so am hoping for a solution there.

That is a good idea of using another flasher unit to see if it solved the problem before buying a new unit.

I am still thinking the second set of lights on the fender may be a good safety measure as I spend too many hours on the road in the dark clearing snow in the winter so more lights can only be good.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

I suggested using a flasher unit you know is good as electrical items are non returnable here so I presumed they are there as well.  Good Luck

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

If it costs a lot to fix, or you can't find the problem, you can always try these:

http://easyontaillights.com/

I have seen these at farm shows for about $250.

I know a guy who has a set, who roads a lot, and says he will never be without them.  He uses them on the wings of spring tillage equipment, to fertilizer nurse tanks (they are supposed to have lights if pulled in low-light conditions), to grain wagons, to his hay hauler (he welded a metal plate on a stake for the magnet to grab, and pokes it into a bale)..  Says they have been trouble-free, and a set isn't much pricier than wiring a wagon permanently.  I guess we'll find out in a couple years how well they hold up.

0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Just to update the wiring problem.

Worked on tractor a month ago and put new flasher unit on as well as wired in extra lights on fenders on separate circuit and simple flasher so I have one set of lights I could trust.

So then the weather was mild through December. Lots of rain but no snow and no reason to test the tractor lights.

Finally got a snow 'storm'the other day, well not much of a storm but enough snow to tidy up yards, so off I went just before 4am. Home around 9 and all lights still working.

Have to assume the problem was in that flasher unit all the time.

One peculiar thing is the directional signals do not work now flip the switch and all 4 lights just keep flashing.

I can live with that, at least I am well lit for traffic to see me, I will watch them for my turns.

0 Kudos