cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

5288 or a 7120 Magnum?

What would you  do?  My old 1466 (still has the clunking sound) days of hard work are coming to an end here on the farm.  It has been a good work horse ( turned up a little-150hp.)  It did the hard work on the farm.  I would like to trade up to the IH 88 series or a Magnum. I wish not to spend more than 30 grand.  I could be ok with the 88 series tractor if they are sound machines.  A much quieter cab would sure nice.  

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: 5288 or a 7120 Magnum?

I've got a 7140 I've had since new in the late 80's. Haven't had a bit of trouble and it has been worked hard until the last 3 years. Cab is very comfortable with good visibility and a solid A/C. I had mine completely restored 4 years ago including paint, interior kit including all window and door seels. Wouldn't trade it for anything, not even new of equivalent size. I've never been around the 88 series so I can't offer much advice on those. Good luck and happy hunting. I'm sure you can find a nice replacement within your price range.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The 5x88 series tractors are sound machines.  I wrote it that way, because not all 88 series are the same.   The 3x88 series are a smaller framed tractor, that still has the IH TA system in it.   The 5x88 (like the 5288 you mentioned) will be the bigger framed tractor, with a wet clutch, two speed powershift (instead of TA) and all forward gears will be synchronized.   The Magnum, of course, will be full powershift.

With 30K as your limit, you will likely be limited to the earlier Magnums, which are more like the 5x88 series, than they are different.  They both have 18 speed transmissions, and the rat**bleep** will be the same, just that the 5288 will require clutching when shifting ranges, and half the speeds (powershift between 1-2, clutch from 2-3, p-shift 3-4, clutch 4-5, p-shift 5-6).   They have a true Powershift, with separate high and low clutch packs, and eliminate the TA basket, sprag, etc entirely, so they are MUCH improved in that respect.

The hydraulic systems are almost identical to the early Magnums.   In fact, if you parked them side by side, and looked only at the hydraulic pumps/plumbing, you'd be hard pressed to know which was which.   They both have planetary final drives, as well.

The 5288 has a  slightly smaller cab, but with doors on both sides.   The Magnum will have a little roomier cab, and the door opens wider, but there is only one door on the left.

As far as reliability, the Magnum has the Cummins engine, which has seemed to be somewhat longer lasting between rebuilds, the 88 Series will have the older IH engines (use the same oil/fuel filters as your 1466) but they are cheaper to rebuild.

The only 'weaknesses' that I have really heard about in the 5x88 series would be the powershift module tends to go bad, and the fan bearing needs to be watched.   The shift module is an early attempt at a computerized shift, and while it did make for a very smooth powershift, they go bad over time, and cost way to much to replace, for what it is.   If that goes bad, you can replace the module with a kit from Hy-Capacity that replaces the computer circuits with a series of relays that is far more reliable, far cheaper, and plugs right into the existing wiring harness where the computer module was.   When I did that, I could 'barely' tell the shift was a little more harsh.   The local mechanic says that most every 5x88 around has that module in place of the IH computer, and has seen no loss of durability to the powershift.

The fan bearing, is also not a big deal, if you are aware of it.   These tractors have the fan in front of the radiator, blowing air forward, with a little driveshaft going through a hole in the radiator, and a carrier bearing between the radiator and fan.  When this bearing starts to whine, you have maybe a day or less to replace it.   The local mechanic says if you just replace the bearing every time the hourmeter reads a multiple of 1000 hours, you almost never have to worry about them going out in mid-season.   To me $20 something every 1000 hours isn't that big a deal.  Just remember, there are two different sized fan bearings, and if your dealership stocks one, you likely will need the other, LOL.  They are the same diameter, but one is a bit wider than the other.   You can put the narrow one, where the wide one was, but not the other way around, if memory serves me right.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys,  any differance between the 5088 and the 5288, or is it a turn of the pump?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Wind - i still have a 5288 and a 7130 - the 52 replaced a 1486 years ago - and the mag replaced a 1586 , the 52 is the same  as retired - just runs a 12 inch auger and pushs snow -lol

The 50 and the 52 are the same machine - even has the same tranny in it - just lower HP - We lost the tranny twice in the 52 - both was covered - After loseing the econd one - IH dropped in a 5488 tranny and it has been trouble free sence

7130 - trouble free - period !  Powershift - is very good , haveing put in many hours in both - the 7130 wins by a mile .

BTW - Sence I don't farm as much as use to and no tilling - 7130 will find a new home soon .

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: 5288 or a 7120 Magnum? how about a 5388

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5gLCl1YT7E

The best of two worlds- 5388.  Husker-J can you build me one?

The 2nd tractor in this vidio.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks Wind.........Very interesting vidio !!! I've always thought  "RED " was the color a tractor should be.  Just got done reworking a 1972 1466.....with the help of my youngest son. If I could ever get this picture thing figured out......will post a picture of "El Caballo "  Explanation....bought the 1466 from a Mexican chap in Madison , Wi.  El Caballo translates to "The Horse" in English.   John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Interesting. I knew the rear half of the early Magnums were very similar to the 5x88 series, but I did not know that all the bolts would line up & tighten like the guy sayd.

What I do know, is that my older brother said that when he was in Lincoln checking out if he'd go there to school, they went to the tractor testing lab, and they had a 5x88 tractor in the test lab, that had a semi-powershift transmission in it.   You clutched for the ranges (lo, med, hi, reverse) but the 6 gears within the range, were all powershift.   My guess it was just before the acquisition by Tenneco & the merger with Case.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Pretty COOl video - Funny thing - or small world - one of the postters on here and from ag web lives very close to Danny - JCC you know who I talking about ? lol   One hint - he milks

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We plan to head East next week for the "Garden Spot of the World" and just may be going the I-74 to I-70 RT.  Drive that 7130 out next to the road and put flag on it.  If I see it I'll stop and take a look, LOL.

Not sure if our van will start Mon. morning, to be -17* here in CIA!!!!! 

0 Kudos