cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

6620 Final Drive Replacement?

Jump to solution

Just had the left axle snap off from my 6620 hydro, non-sidehill combine.  Took a final drive off my dead 6600 (non-hydro, non-sidehill) and bolted it on.  Then I read that JD offered two gear ratios in the final drive.  After I finished vehemently questioning why combines would need a different gear ratio in the final drive, I'm trying to decide if I care.  The machine drives fine, there's no sense of difference between right and left.  Visually its hard to tell.  Was thinking of marking off a distance, marking the top of each tire and driving it to see how close the marks are.  But with a differential in between, they're not necessarily gonna be the same, right?  What would happen if I drive it with two different final drive gear ratios?  Will the differential absorb the difference and fail sooner?

JD tells me I can find a part number somewhere on the input shaft that will tell me the gear ratio.  Before I rip off the shaft, thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has done this and what they think.  I could pull the other final drive off the 6600 and throw it on the 6620 so they match.  But that's a helluva lotta work.  Suggestions?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: 6620 Final Drive Replacement?

Jump to solution

Never mind.  Was successfully able to ID the final drives based on the input shaft part number and the size of tires on the machine.  Whew.  And finished beans today, yay!  Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: 6620 Final Drive Replacement?

Jump to solution

Never mind.  Was successfully able to ID the final drives based on the input shaft part number and the size of tires on the machine.  Whew.  And finished beans today, yay!  Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos