cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

75 hp Replacement Tractor for IH 656

what would be a nice replacement tractor to replace my aging 656 tractor? I am looking for something to hay with, and run the grain augers.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Advisor

Re: 75 hp Replacement Tractor for IH 656

in my opinion if you want something to last 40+ years rebuild the farmall Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

If you upgrade augers, remeber 75 hp doesn't run a big one by today's standards. I love my narrow front Deere 2510 for placing my auger. But when i fill the 10x 62 auger with wet corn it makes the black smoke roll and on hot days it even startes to over heat after only 500 or so bushels. I'm also a little impatient when it come to loading and unloading trucks. Having the biggest auger in the neighborhood earns you points with the truckers.
Now I have myself thinking it may be time to look for a 13 inch load out auger.
To your point I agree with rawhide.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I've had really good luck with an IH 685. 
Compared to the old 656 which we still have, it has 'slightly' more PTO power, and is more compact, but a little lighter in weight, so it will spin out a little before the 656 in a severe situation.  
However, it is lower to the ground, which is great for a hayfield tractor.   More stable, and one less step everytime you get on or off.   My only gripe with it, is that it is a bit hard starting in cold weather - no glow plugs, so you have to plug it in sooner than the 656.

Additional 'likes' are that it turns quite a bit shorter, and has hydraulic brakes, that will both stop the tractor, and unlock (our 656 is notoroius for weak brakes, and if you tighten them up, so they work strongly, they will sometimes drag), better hydraulics, and a standard 3-point (instead of the 2-point the 656 has), and ours has the dual PTO option (dual shaft 540 & 1000 PTO).  Easy on fuel, and has a mechanical injector pump (cheaper to fix than electronic).  Put about 3000 hours on ours since we got it, and only repairs were batteries & alternator, a couple rubber fuel lines, and a switch on the dash that went bad.

0 Kudos