cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Farminatr
Contributor

7720 unloading auger gearcase lubrication?

My book says I'm lubricating a bearing on the upper elbow every 200 hours, but if it's a gearcase with bevel gears that need to run in grease I need to be putting A LOT more grease in there than I've been doing.  Anybody know if it's supposed to be pumped full or am I just greasing sealed bearings that need occasional lubing without pushing out the seals?  I talked to a guy with a 9550 and he said the gearcase is $2300 dollars, so I don't need to have that expense on a 7720.  Thanks! 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tractor12
Frequent Contributor

Re: 7720 unloading auger gearcase lubrication?

I had a 7720 and ran it to almost 5000 hours and never had that gearbox out or had trouble with it. I now run a 1995  9600 and it just went out and had to be rebuilt. My unloading augers had been replaced 300 hours ago right before i purchased it. when my gearbox went out it  put  the unloading augers out of time, which means the vertical auger turned and broke off the flighting on the short horizontal auger. My  horizontal long auger , has a short auger and also a longer auger spliced together with a support bearing.   I went ahead and replaced the short auger , it cost $700 alone.   Parts only.  the gearbox was rebuilt by the jd dealership and it cost $553. parts and labor. I took gearbox out and augers out and installed both myself.  I lucked out, because the shop said when gearbox fails it takes out the vertical and horizontal augers at the same time. My vertical auger was ok.   another headache is the tank is always full of grain when the gearbox fails, and you must dump corn on ground to get vertical auger out. My gearbox failed because i had not been greasing it . you have to get ladder out to grease it.     I cant answer your question about greasless bearings,  because i do not know, they do have seals though.    all parts are very exspensive,  and always will be  I am not complaining about the shop, because they rebuilt gearbox at my request on the spot.     I would grease the gearbox on a regular basis.    good luck.    My 9600 has about  2200 separator hours on it.

0 Kudos
IaDealr
Contributor

It is a gearcase, I grease it with cornhead grease and I assume it's ok to grease it till grease comes out of the seals.

0 Kudos
wayhom

The unloading auger gearcase should be lubricated just like the grain tank loading auger upper gearcase. I lube mine with corn head lube every season, about 50 pumps each. These are bevel-gear units, and need sufficient lubrication.

0 Kudos
Farminatr
Contributor

I'm headed to the combine with a grease gun.  Thanks guys for the good answers.

0 Kudos