cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

97 Silverado

I have a 97 half ton silverado that is having issues, for whatever reason im having issues starting the pickup every so often. The pickup will finaly start after cranking on it for a few seconds. It seems that it is having a fuel issue. One of the most puzzling issues is that it seems to only be doing it when it is hot out. The pickup gave me this same issue about a month ago when we were having a hot spell (90 Degrees) then quite after it cooled off. It started again acting up again today and the temp was about 95. It did have the top end rebuilt about 2,000 miles ago and a fuel pump replace about 5,000 miles ago with a lifetime pump. Im wondering if it could be the fuel filter or a fuel leak. I did scan it and found that the cam position sensor needs replaced, but I don't believe this could be causing the issue. If any one has any ideas of what I can check for please let me know.

TT

0 Kudos
6 Replies
siloguy
Frequent Contributor

Re: 97 Silverado

I am not familiar w/ what the 97 GM uses, but I didn't know that they used a cam sensor. I believe they use a crank position sensor, which tells the ignition and the injectors when and where to do their job. If that is bad, I can see some issues happening, but it is puzzling why this would only effect starting on hot days.

0 Kudos
Pat in CMO
Senior Contributor

A bad check valve in the fuel pump can cause long crank times on startup. Usually temperature has no effect. May be an intermittant problem with the check valve. check the fuel pressure and see if it drops rather quickly when the vehicle is shut off. If so the check valve in the pump is leaking. If the check valve is leaking you can get by for a while by turning the key on for a few seconds before cranking the engine.  Patrick

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Does the fuel level in the tank have any effect?  The gas in the tank cools the fuel pump.  If the code reader says you need a sensor start there and replace the filter for sure.  I had a 95 pickup that acted up once in a while.  I did all the above and still had problems, so I sold it.

0 Kudos
Barr-Clay
Contributor

Pull a vacuum line off and smell for fuel. If you do, look into a fuel pressure regulator. I've done this to a couple GM vehicles ive owned, but not yet on my Silverado so I couldn't help with location, cost, etc. A friend of mine also had a similar issue and IIRC it was an intake air flow or temperature sensor.
0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

are there vacuum lines on 97s?

0 Kudos
wgjerde768071
Senior Contributor

replace your cam position sensor and throttle postion too if it has one

For some reason when go out they do go out gradually then one day no start.  replace that and you solve the problem  If there is a throttle position sensor replace that to It will give the same symtoms..

0 Kudos