cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

AgPoll: Harvest breakdowns?

Heard from a farmer who had a heck of a time in the field this fall with his combine. Everybody pretty much skate through it all in good shape? Any horror stories?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: AgPoll: Harvest breakdowns?

Biggest come apart so far stripped the splines out of the hydro. 2 days to go, knock on wood.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I had enough problems with the old girl I already bought a different machine for next year.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I called my repairs minor, but I had so many of them they became an issue.  I plan to do a lot of rebuilding before next harvest.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I knew it wasn't going to be good this year. Took the combine to the field and made one round in the soybeans...brought it back, and looked at the right rear tire...thought, "that looks a little soft". Next morning it was flat. Took it off...looked all over the tube, finally found a pinhole at the end of a tiny "L" or "J" shaped impression on the tube. Looked in the casing...and found a bristle...yes a bristle from the vacuum cleaner brush that I used to suck out the dirt when I put the tire together 4 years ago. It matched up perfectly with the impression on the tube...and had eventually worked it's way through the tube. Patched that and moved on to even more frustrating things. Had a bearing on the straw chopper that went out while harvesting wheat...had a used one on hand, and because I only had 2 hours of combining left...I threw it on. Forgot to put a new bearing on the chopper. You guessed it...it didn't last more than about 4 days...LOL. Had a bushing on the cleaning shoe drive go bad...and before I caught it...it actually split the side of the cleaning shoe top to bottom. Going to have to pull the shoe out and put a new side on it this winter, should get by with the welding job I did this year. Fired the combine up one day...and because it was cold, I didn't throttle it up as I eased out onto the road...had to dodge a couple cars..then went to throttle it up. Nothing happened!...Couldn't figure it out...so I idled up the road to the neighbors driveway and backed it in..and climbed back into the engine...here the cotter pin holding the pin in the clevis for the fuel pump control cable had dropped out. No wire anywhere in the cab...looked around..and spied a marker flag in the neighbors field. (I don't know about you..but I find them more useful than baling wire..LOL) I can't wait to ask the neighbor how much I owe him for combine parts...LOL. It's always a fun time around here when it's time to harvest...I've always said if I didn't have a welder I couldn't farm...LOL

0 Kudos
Advisor

Had a new sickle head go down on my flex head.  Less than a year old.  Was up and running shortly.  Other than that, a breeze to harvest what little crop we had.  Preventative maintenance is the key to an enjoyable harvest without breakdowns.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Started with two old combines, I spent most of the time fixing one while my wife was running the other. After only two years with my TR 86 I gave up and got a green 9510. If my wife had to choose between me and the 9510 I think it would be a tough decision but she'd probably pick the combine.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Did something sImilar. Bought a combine for $4000 with a good hydro and a few newer parts. Now I have a summer project to either move the good hydro to the old girl, or move the good parts from the old one to the 'new' one. Might wind up with 'frankenharvestor' before I'm done, but I think I'll wind up with a pretty solid 1440 when it's all said and done, and it will be cheap. I had to weld up a few parts, but amazingly my old 1440 with a weak judo managed to finish the year with only about an hour of fixing. I won't mention the time spent pre harvest getting her in shape, though. I think at about 7000 hours, she earned her keep.
0 Kudos