cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Air Seeders

I am considering the addition of an air seeder to our operation in southeast Iowa.  Unfortunately, this is not a piece of equipment that is commonly found in this part of the world.

I want to use it to plant soybeans, or course.  I also need it to sow wheat and oats.  We also have been planting more and more rye to chop for cattle feed and i really think our use of cover crops is going to expand as well.

I am currently using a 15 ft Great Plains no-till drill but want something bigger.

Seems to me an air seeder would fit in well but i have some very basic questions.

Who makes good ones and which makes should one avoid?

I've always like the zone tillage idea of the Great Plains drills but have run John Deere's "slot till" no till drill as well.

I am assuming that most of them can be used for no-till but is getting them to penetrate ever an issue or is there enough weight that this is not a problem.

I've had a 30 foot model in mind but see most advertised as 35 foot.....how much power/traction does it take to handle them?

I farm a lot of silty clay loams and clay loams in some rolling hills.

Is there such a thing as a grass seed attachment like I have on my current drill?  Sure is nice for seeding alfalfa and an oat cover crop.

What kind of monitoring system is common on them?  How accurate is the seeding rate?  Or is it more of a "controlled spill" like a grain drill.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Air Seeders

Theres only 1 in my area of heavy clay, a Deere.  It seems to do an OK job but his beans this year seemed to run out of gas late in the season.  I suspect he plants shallower than most.  Whether this is by choice or the planter won't go in further I don't know.  One thing:  Make sure you have a good quiet cab as they are NOISY.   I can hear it a mile away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I personally don't have one, but like yourself was considering the purchase of one to use for cover crops as well as notilling.  I was rudely awakened by how much hydraulics it takes to operate them.  After talking with a local sales person, I believe I am going to pass on the air seeder at this time and start shopping for a nice all purpose box drill.  I am not ready to update tractors just yet and that is what I would need to do with an air seeder.  As far as your question goes, in my area I see about a 50-50 blend of John Deere and Case/IH.  I guess it goes back to personal preference.  I have to admit, they do look awful sweet being pulled across soybean stubble.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

The guy here who has 1 uses a JD 8220 with a 30 footer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

We've had a great plains for years, tried a 40 foot air seeder, worst mistake we ever made. Went back to a 40' great plains. It takes a big tractor with a lot of hydraulics to run it, we also found them harder to work on and to set.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos