cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Aluminum cleaner

Jump to solution

Does anybody have a good cleaner for aluminum diamond plate that they use?  The kind that pickup behind the cab tool boxes are made from.   Mine is only a year old and mostly shedded but is showing signs of dullness.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Advisor

Re: Aluminum cleaner

Jump to solution

the kind i like is called FLITZ and is sold in truckstops etc. you can buy it in tubes and pint or quart cans.  then get a piece of carpet and staple it to a 2x4 and find an ample supply of elbow grease and have at it.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

I've used a product called NeverDull before. Comes in a can..is impregnated on it's own scrubber. But most of the aluminum cleaners out there today do a fairly good job, as long as you have the time and energy to use them. It isn't fun keeping aluminum bright...these truckers with the shiny rigs really spend a lot of time with a polishing wheel in their hand...

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

Thanks to both of you.  Pup you gave me an idea about a polishing wheel.   I recently bought a Meguiars product to clean the haze off a cars headlight covers and it came with a polishing wheel to be used with a drill.  It didn't work very well on the light covers but maybe it will on the aluminum.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

By all means...use a polishing wheel or bonnet. There's even a new style "ball" that they sell at the auto parts stores for cleaning aluminum wheels. Has lots of flaps and crevices to hold polish and get into nooks and crannys. And wax the devil out of the aluminum when you're done. I've even sprayed it with clear coat polyurethane paint to try and keep it from getting dull again...but that can make a real mess if you haven't got it perfectly clean.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Jump to solution

Dakota Shine Aluminum cleaner, web site:  http://www.dakotashine.com

Pete

www.machinerypete.com

0 Kudos