cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Anybody know about '70's Case tractors, 930 model with steering box problem. ? thnx.

Jump to solution

I found a Case model 930, from 1970's. The seller tells of steering box problem. I want to know if all Case tractors had this problem, how hard and expensive the repair is, given the availability of parts, new or used. I looked at web-photo carefully and I could see this model has the steering box just in front of operator, with pitman arm stretching to front-end. The shaft was married to the power-steering cylinder that operated parallel to steering shaft. I am hoping this is a resonable fix because everything else looks real-good. I am not affraid to get my hands dirty.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Anybody know about '70's Case tractors, 930 model with steering box problem. ? thnx.

Jump to solution

Call someone on here http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/dismantledsearch.aspx?ETID=3&Manu=J+I+CASE&Mdltxt=930&mdlx=exact   and ask what they have to have for a steering box ...($300?) off a salvage tractor.   I know some Case guys, I don`t recall them saying anything about steering problems in particular, they say they are bullet-proof but you can always tell a Case man, but you can`t tell him much Smiley Happy   I think they only made the 30 seris in the `60s.  Case stands for Can`t. Afford. Something. Else.  I got a couple so I can say that.

Tags (1)
Veteran Contributor

Re: Anybody know about '70's Case tractors, 930 model with steering box problem. ? thnx.

Jump to solution

Did he say what the problem is?  Having the external cylinder many times indicates an ordinary gearbox that has hydraulic assistance, much like the Studebakers of the '60s.  On them, when you added PS you left the original manual gearbox intact and simply added the pump, cylinder, etc.  That said, if your tractor is similiar and uses something common like a Saginaw (GM) gearbox, many of the manual ones had a locking set screw on the side you can run in a bit to take the slop out of the steering wheel.  If that's that's the problem is, it may be a simple fix.  However, you can get slop in it when the seal leaked and lost all of the oil. and was run dry.  Many people would swap out the pipe plug for a grease fitting and pump the box full of grease.  While that often worked, it's also a sign that the seal has leaked before and some damage may have occured already.  We used to have an 800 with PS, but I can't remember in detail how it was made.     

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Use a 1966 Case 730 CK summer time haying tractor...PS alittle weak but better than none!!

John

0 Kudos