cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Anyone had/have one of these in their farming history??

Jump to solution

20140209_194321.jpg

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Anyone had/have one of these in their farming history??

Jump to solution
WAY too much red paint there for me. lol
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

Yep I had a 510 massey with a 4 row 30 inch corn head. I thought I had picked up a rock in the cylinder but when I shut off the seperator, the banging continued. Diagnosis was a busted crankshaft and the engine was still running.

Traded it off for a JD 6600 and had that for 14 years before i finally traded up for a 7720 with air conditioning.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

That's first machine I ran in 6th grade. Brand spanking new.  Have bill of sale yet.  1975. List price  29 plus thousand.traded 67 510 on it. Will post when I get to it.  Funny thing corn was between 2 and 3 dollars then. 10000 bushel corn for new machine.???

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

In 1967 Dad bought a new 525 Oliver with a 13 foot head for 9,990.00 plus a J I Case pull type combine.  Don't remember price of corn, but if you got three dollars for beans it was considered super.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

a neighbor had an old c=model ford with hydraulic brakes--couldn't stop it loaded

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Way too big for us. My Dad had a Massey 310 or 410 (don't remember) with a TWO row head when I came back to farm in 1974. We traded it in for a JD 6600 that year with a five row head (anyone have one of those??).

And no tandem trucks at that time -- had two 300 bu. w/single axles.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

Yer right! The first time I got $3 fror beans I thought I had hit a home run. In fact $3 corn was a great deal as well. I sold old corn for 3.65 and contracted new corn for $3.15 on the same day. The 3.65 corn was put in the crib at $1.15 ceiling price and sold for 3.65 I think that was 1974.

Corn was down bad and picked alot of it one way. Don't remember the number but Funks G was down terribly. Had a different variety next two it and combined one direction on that variety and combined backon the Funks G.

Wife picked up the income tax papers and brought them to the field for my signature. I just about passedout  when I saw the amount of the income tax.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

Dad bought MF 300 in 66' for $7850. Told me he sold a lot of corn for$0.80 cents in the 60's. 10,000 bushels corn.? Had a 80 C 8000 Ford like one in picture,3208 (320nothing)lol auto air brakes.  Tipped her over fall of 2012. Dad had old 53 Chevy in early 70 .

0 Kudos